How to make Marzipan Christmas Sweets Recipe step by step. Marzipan’s an authentic Christmas sweet made to distribute as goodies! Marzipan has been my favorite since a kid used to just pounce on them to grab a bite then and I am still doing it 😉 ……. These sweet is mainly made during Christmas and Easter. It’s also one of most important sweet made in Goa during the festive season. These are made across the world in various shapes mainly of fruit, leaves and vegetables. Some also give the shape of Santaclaus and snowman.
What are Marzipan? They are sweet confectionery made from almond meal, grounded sugar, egg whites and rose essence. It’s prepared in 2 ways one is the raw version where it’s not cooked the and second method it’s cooked. I have made the second way as preferring cooking egg whites any day. Also if you are not fond of eggs you could check the eggless marzipan which I had made last here click on the link for the recipe.
Marzipan are also used as fondant and icing for cakes like Battenberg cake has marzipan covering. Now this sweet can also me made from cashew paste. I have used almond. Soak almond overnight and peel off their skin. Don’t throw the almond skin as it has lot of nutrients in them. I grounded my almond peels with milk to make a thick paste. I added some sugar to it and used as a facial scrub and pack. Trust me your skin will glow with almond peels.
Coming back to marzipan if you are in a hurry to make marzipan. In this case, don’t worry immerse almonds in hot boiling water. Blanch almonds for 20 mins the skin should come out easily now. I used the blanching method as I was too lazy to soak the almonds overnight. You could choose any method which suits you.
In Goa marzipans are also made from pumpkin puree. I will try them next time as pumpkin + almonds sound more healthy right. I have made marzipan chocolate lollipops and pumpkin shape with my marzipan dough. Use your creativity and allow yourself to shape the marzipan. You could shape them into moulds, cut as star, moon, sun, make flowers, eggs over nests etc. Sometimes it’s good to bend your mind and be innovative.
I thought of chocolate lollipops as my neighbors child loves lollipop. So decided to make some for the baby he relished it. I also made an eggless chocolate cake with marzipan icing. It was too dark to click photos hence will make again and post some other day. I am in love with marzipan …..
Marzipan Christmas Sweets Recipe card below:
- 250 gms almonds
- 200 gms powdered sugar Or as required(I used organic)
- 1 egg whites
- 3 t/s rose water Or 2 tbsp rose essence
- color as per choice
- the mould as per choice
- a pinch of salt
- Blanch almond and peel off their skin. Alternatively, you could soak them in water overnight and peel off their skin. Don't throw the peels use them for something good.
- Grind almonds with rose water / essence until smooth paste if formed. The almond should be smooth and not coarse. Ensure you don't grind the mixture too much else it will be almond butter.
- Combine almond paste, sugar, salt and egg whites in a wide-bottomed saucepan. Place on low heat.
- Cook this mixture until it starts leaving the edges of the pan. Keep stirring else the mixture might stick to the bottom of the pan. Drop some mixture to cold water if it solidifies that means your dough is ready.
- Spread the mixture over a greased pan Or surface. Allow to cool, you could also chill in the fridge for an hour. Now use moulds and shape them as required. If the dough is sticky add some icing sugar.
- I have used a toothpick for lollipops. I added cocoa powder for chocolate effect. Later sprinkled some colored candies over them to make them look attractive.
- For the pumpkin effect, I have used orange color for the vegetable, For leaves I have used green color and for the stick to support I have used toothpick again. Make marble sized ball with different colors that also looks great.
- Store them in fridge covered should last up to a week.
2. If the dough is too sticky then add some more icing sugar.
3. Give any shape Or color you desire.
4. While cooking almond paste if you feel the mixture is coarse don't worry take a hand blender and blend the almond again to a smooth paste.