How about a Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich with a hot cup of chai in the pouring rains.... great fun I relished all of it today! In fact I gave some sandwiches parcel to my hubby and his friend’s kids today. Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich is very popular snack across Mumbai. You will find them at all corners and stalls of Mumbai. I remember how I use to thrive on them in my teens. I used to bunk your lectures and eat these yum Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich!
They are my favorite till today although I miss them in Pune. So I decided to make them home. I make them almost every fifteen days as we both drool over them. It’s quite simple to make them. Just some mashed potatoes infused in Indian spices, vegetables, green chutney, butter and your Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich is ready.
Infact you can make these sandwiches more healthy by adding some greens like…. spinach, coriander leaves, corn, green peas, french beans etc in the mashed potatoes. I have added some green peas and french beans to make them more healthier although it’s optional and regular Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich doesn’t consist of all the veggies I stated above.
My hubby has recovered from the accident. In fact he is out of town for three days for his official work. So I am staying with his friends wifes house who has 2 beautiful, cute and notorious kids. So I am enjoying this change as I love to play with kids because I feel I am also a kid 😉 guess everyone has a kid in his/her heart some hide some show so I like to show!
The weather is getting quite pleasant in Pune so tempted to eat more hot and tasty food and what could be better than these Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich.
Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich recipe and printable card below:
- bread slices (take as much as you want)
- butter as less as you want 😉
- black salt asp per taste
- 4 cucumber peeled and chopped into thin round
- 2 onion chopped into thin round
- 4 tomatoes chopped into thin round
- 1 big sized beetroot boiled and chopped into thin round
- 1 capsicum deseeded and chopped finely
- chat masala as per taste
- 10-12 mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- black salt as per taste
- 2 to 3 green chilies chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 50 gms green peas boiled
- 6 to 7 french bean boiled and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 t/s mustard seed
- 1 t/s fenugreek seed
- 1 t/s urad dal ( split gram)
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 t/s asofoetida (hing)
- 1 t/s sugar
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 1 t/s red chili powder
- 8 to 10 curry leaves chopped finely (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp pav bhai masala powder (optional)
- 1 t/s cumin seed powder
- 1 t/s fennel seed powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- some chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp water
- black salt as per taste
- For green chutney grind all the ingredients listed into a processor. Grind until mixture is smooth. Keep it aside you could also store into the fridge if you wish to. The chutney stays for 10 to 12 days.
- For Potato Stuffing boil the potatoes peel their skin and mash them. Take another work Or vessel add oil. Once oil is hot add mustard seed, cumin seed, split gram, fenugreek seed, asofoetida, sugar, curry leaves if using and green chilies. Saute all nicely for a minute.
- Now add boiled green peas and chopped french beans. Mix all nicely. It's time to add mashed potatoes and coriander leaves. Add water mix all nicely.
- Cook for 3 to 4 mins on medium heat. Once the moisture starts drying out add turmeric, red chili powder, pav bhaji masala powder, cumin powder, fennel seed powder, garam masala powder and black salt.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it becomes dry and thick. Place this aside.
- For sandwich we will chop tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, boiled beetroot and onion . Keep all handy. Spread butter on both the bread slices. Now spread the green chutney generously over it. It's time to spread the potato stuffing mixture ensure it has a thick layer of it.
- Now place some onion, tomatoes, cucumber and beet over it. Put some finely chopped capsicum, sprinkle some black salt and chat masala over the veggies. Cover with other bread.
- Toast these sandwiches on a grill / toast sandwich maker. You could toast them on fire as well. Slice them into wedges Or square. Spread some chutney and sauce over it. You could also garnish with sev that's how its served in Mumbai.
2. Add you favorite veggies to make your sandwich more healthier.
3. Best part is you could keep your green chutney and potato stuffing in the fridge for further use.