Xacuti is a Goan Masala with certain blend of spices which is extremely popular across India. Mushrooms are my favorite so I thought of clubbing Xacuti Masala with Mushrooms. Generally xacuti masala are used for making chicken xacuti, mutton xacuti. There were lot of mushrooms at my house and I wanted to try something unique. So came up with this version of Mushroom Goan Xacuti Or you could also call it as Mushroom Xacuti Masala!
Goan cuisine has blend of flavors to offer. It has a mixture of portuguese and slight african flavors. It also has to offer Indian cuisine. Whenever you go to Goa please binge on Prawns Balchao, Pomfret Reshad, Fish Caldin, Fish Ambotik, Chicken Xacuti, Fish Fried with Semolina, Sol Curry(kokam), Crab Masala, Para Bangda (Mackerels stuffed and fried).
Goan desserts like Bebinca, Dodol, Doce de Grao, Baath Cake, Nevreos are some of delectable and yummy sweets of Goan region. If you happen to go there don’t miss on the food and desserts I shared with you. As goa has a variety of food to offer so one gets confused hence I thought of helping everyone a bit.
Vegetarians can try mushroom xacuti. My non vegetarian friends can make the same recipe with meat Or chicken. Either ways it tastes yum 😉 ……… December post marriage I had been to Goa for my honeymoon. That’s where I picked these Readymade Xacuti Masala. Not that I don’t know to make homemade xacuti masala. But since I had this ready packet I thought of making some use of it.
Don’t worry I will share with you guys how to prepare Xacuti masala home ;)……… The readymade masala was good enough however homemade are always better arent’t they?
For Homemade Xacuti Masala Paste here is the recipe:
- 3 tbsp oil
- one onion sliced
- 5 to 6 kashmiri red chilies / dried red chilies
- 10 to 12 cloves
- 16 to 17 peppercorns
- 1 two inch stick cinnamon
- 1/4th nutmeg seed
- 1 t/s cumin seed
- 1/2 mace
- 3 to 4 green cardamom
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 1/2 cup grated coconut Or 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
Combine all the above ingredients into a frying pan. Add some oil and stir fry until brown and fragrant. Grind all this into a processor with 1 cup water to a smooth paste. Your Homemade Xacuti masala is ready. You can use them in your veg Or non veg dishes 😉
Lemme quickly share with you today’s Recipe Mushroom Goan Xacuti!
Tip for Mushroom Xacuti Masala:
- If you are using homemade xacuti masala then please avoid the roasting and grinding process. Also don’t use grated coconut as it’s already used in your Xacuti Paste.
- You could add meat, veggies, chicken as per your preference with this Xacuti Masala.
Mushroom Xacuti Masala Recipe details below:
- 1 packet of button mushrooms
- 3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) / oil
- 3 onion (2 for paste and rest for tempering)
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- ½ fresh coconut grated Or chopped
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Homemade Xacuti Paste Or 5 tbsp Readymade Xacuti Masala
- 1 inch ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 potato chopped into cubes
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
- few coriander leaves
- water 2 cups Or as required
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Firstly wash the mushroom Or wipe them with a clean cloth. Keep them immersed in water for some time. Chop them into medium chunks.
- Take a pan add little oil. Saute onion until it changes color. Add green chilies and sugar.
- After 2 mins add grated coconut along with desiccated coconut.
- Put the readymade xacuti masala and saute for 2 to 3 mins more. Ensure it doesn’t stick Or burn at the bottom. If using homemade xacuti masala then avoid this step and the step below.
- Grind the roasted onion, chili, coconut and xacuti masala into a processor. Ensure the paste should be smooth. Add little water if required.
- Now take a big wok Or vessel add oil. Once oil is hot add the rest of onion. Saute for a minute then add ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for another 2 mins. It’s time to add tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 mins more until tomatoes leaves moisture.
- Add potato chunks stir nicely. Cover with a lid for 3 to 4 mins on low flame.
- Remove the lid add water as consistency required.
- Now pour the above grounded paste Or homemade Xacuti paste. Stir all nicely allow to cook for another 4 to 5 mins on low flame.
- Add mushrooms and coriander leaves. Cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Finally add coconut milk and salt for seasoning. Cook for 2 mins more. Just check if potatoes are cooked. Switch off the gas.
- Serve hot with bread, rice Or just like a stew. Garnish with coriander leaves.