Full of fiber, minerals and vitamins is Oats Roti (Indian Flat Bread)!
I wanted to make something healthy from oats which is not only healthy but yummy too. Finally I thought of making roti with oats + jowar (sorghum) flour and wheat flour. I added a dash of black sesame seeds for making it more nutritive.
Oats have great healthy benefits start your morning with oats. Eating oats regulates cholesterol, pressure, good for your heart, good in losing weight also great for digestion. So don’t wait get a pack of oats make chiwda, poha, upma, rotis Or just cook them and eat. They are great to have in any form as they are full of fiber.
I have seen people not eating oats because of its bland flavor. In such cases try giving some spice and flavor to oats dish. I also have developed a habit to eat oats as never had eaten them in my childhood. But have started loving them. Looking forward to make more yummy dishes with oats.
This dish is easy to make, simple to cook yet flavorful and healthy. Oats Roti would be an ideal choice for kid tiffin box, lunch box Or quick snack Or brunch. This roti tastes like normal roti so club them with regular vegetable Or gravy. Your family won’t even come to know the difference.
You get variety of oats like steel cut oats, instant oats etc. Nowadays you get other variety like masala oats, flavored oats. However I prefer plain oats and spiced at home not in packets. Do share if you have a good recipe from oats which you make back home.
Notes for Oats Roti:
- You could add any flour you like along with oats and whole wheat flour.
- If you like spice add a dash of paprika powder Or green chilies to the dough.
- I have used oil you could use ghee (clarified butter) Or butter.
- Ensure the dough isn’t too sticky nor firm for this recipe.
Oats Roti recipe and printable details listed below:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used organic)
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup jowar flour (sorghum)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seed
- 1 cup hot water
- salt as per taste
- 1.5 tbsp oil for frying rotis
- Combine oats into a grinder. Dry-grind the oats until fine powder is formed. Combine powered oats, jowar flour, wheat flour,
- black sesame seed and salt into a mixing vessel.
- Add hot water and knead into a smooth soft dough. Wrap with a damp cloth and allow to rest for ten mins.
- Shape marble sized balls from the dough. Roll into oval / round shape with the help of roller upto 3 inch diameter.
- Place frying pan Or iron pan over the high heat. Once pan is hot reduce the temperature to medium. Fry the rotis from both
- sides until brown specks appear. Drizzle some oil while frying them.
- Repeat the same with rest of dough.