Onion Tomato Cucumber Raita is a famous side dish which goes well with biryanis, pulaos, khichdi or any rice dish. In-fact if you order a biryani in any restaurant raita is always served as a accompaniment. They are perfect match made for each other. As you can’t have either one of them you got to eat them together hand in hand 😉 just like a lovely couple….. we had ours with hyderabadi vegetable biryani.
There are various kind of raitas made in India most popular ones are onion raita, onion tomato raita, boondi raita, pineapple raita, cucumber raita, beetroot raita, pachadi raita, burani raita and fruit raita. Raitas could also be great to use as a dip for nachos or even as a sauce.
Mainly Raitas are made from thick yogurt / curd mixed with spices like cumin powder, herbs are used like coriander leaves, mint leaves and other ingredients are used for seasoning. The raita could be from mild spiced to spicy ones generally mild spiced raitas are served with spicy biryani or rice. As the former serves as a cooler taste to balance the spicy taste coming from biryani.
We make a lot of different kind of raitas at home and love them to have as accompaniment. Moreover they are healthy, low fat and nutritious. As yogurt is low fat and the vegetables used are nutritious yet flavorful and tasty.
Which is your favorite raita??? mine is boondi raita and cucumber raita. But if you serve me any raita with a scrumptious biryani or pulao I am fine with it 🙂 no complaints..
Onion Tomato Cucumber Raita Recipe below:
- 1 cup of full fat yogurt
- 1 big onion chopped finely or into julienne
- 1 big cucumber peeled and chopped finely
- 1 big tomato chopped finely
- 1-2 green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala (optional)
- black salt / rock salt or salt as required
- few chopped mint leaves
- few chopper coriander leaves
- ½ lime juice
- lemon wedges (optional)
- Firstly chop onion, tomato, cucumber, green chilies and place aside.
- Whisk the yogurt until creamy and smooth.
- Add all the chopped veggies and cumin powder.
- Mix all nicely. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Once its chilled just before serving add salt, chat masala and lime juice. Otherwise the vegetables would leave moisture making your raita look not so presentable.
- Garnish with mint leaves, coriander leaves and lemon wegdes.
- Serve your chilled onion tomato cucumber raita with biryani or pulao.
2. If you like spicy add more green chilies.
3. I have used black salt you could use regular salt.