Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe is a popular recipe made from paneer (cottage cheese) and hails from North India. The paneer is grilled or baked or placed in tandoor first then added to the creamy tomato gravy. So the tastes of this recipe is just fabulous your house would be full of aroma and flavor once you make it. Such is the magic of this yummy sauce. The taste of this recipe is just like any restaurant style paneer tikka masala recipe.
If you just add plain paneer to this gravy then it’s also known as paneer makhani or paneer makhanwala or paneer butter masala. The base for paneer butter masala or paneer makhani is the same, only the ratio of butter along with some spice differs. Also shahi paneer comprises of nut paste and has a royal touch to it. Otherwise the base of the sauce is common even for butter chicken same sauce or gravy is used.
You would have to prepare malai paneer tikka prior making the base. I have posted the recipe for the same in my earlier post. We love to eat this dish with butter naan, roti and also with home made jeera rice. I love punjabi food from my chidhood, have reminiscences of eating butter chicken, white chicken, tandoori chicken with naan. My dad used to get this for me and my sister.
This Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe is meant for people with robust heart. As it has cream and butter so people with high cholesterol be careful while making this dish. If you aren’t able to use cream don’t worry use cashew paste or hung yogurt instead of cream which is quite less in calories and cholesterol.
My sister has shared the base of this recipe, thankyou sis for sharing this lovely sauce recipe with me. I have added a dash of cream, butter, nut paste and cheese to make my paneer tikka masala a delicious and creamy affair. My hubby who isn’t fond of paneer actually ate them and also packed some for tiffin.
You could use home-made cottage cheese or store bought. If you are using store bought paneer then soak them in hot water for 5-7 mins before adding them to the gravy. Also if for any reason you aren’t able to make the paneer tikka don’t worry just add them straight to the gravy / sauce.
Refer here for step by step paneer tikka recipe or check the recipe at the bottom of the page. Prepare the paneer tikka and keep it ready before making the gravy.
Let’s make Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka Masala recipe step by step:
1. Put oil in the pan. Saute chopped onion also add the onion grilled with the paneer tikka. Saute until light brown in color but don’t burn them else it would ruin the taste.
2. Add all the spice powder except amchur powder. Also add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
3. Now add the tomato puree. Stir and simmer for 4-5 mins.
4. Time to add the white paste to the simmered tomato gravy. Also add the sugar and butter. Mix all nicely.
5. Cook for 3-4 mins. Now add the prepared paneer tikka masala to the gravy.
6. Simmer for 2 mins more, keep stirring in between. Finally add the crushed kasuri methi, check the taste and alter the spices if required. Just ensure you don’t overcook the paneer else they might get rubbery.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and dash of cream. Serve paneer tikka masala hot with butter naan, roti or jeera rice.
If you are looking for more paneer recipes then do check paneer tikka, malai paneer curry, paneer pasanda, palak paneer, paneer paratha, paneer toast, chilli paneer, methi malai paneer, kadai paneer, paneer kolhapuri and paneer gulabjamun.
Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka Masala below:
- 10-12 cashewnut
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1.5 tbsp hung curd
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1.5 t/s lime juice
- 1-2 t/s kashmiri red chili powder or as required
- ½ t/s garam masala powder
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder
- 1 t/s coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 1 t/s amchur powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- ¾ t/s pepper powder
- ½ tbsp crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 t/s sugar
- black salt (kala namak) or rock salt
- 250 gms cottage cheese (paneer) diced into squares (i used store bought paneer)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 capsicum or bell pepper (optional) chopped into squares
- 1 onion chopped into sqaures
- 250 gms fresh cottage cheese (paneer) chopped into cubes or squares (I used readymade paneer)
- 1 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp butter
- 4 medium sized tomatoes puree (just chop and ground them into the mixer or grinder)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 t/s dry raw mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tbsp crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp cream for garnish
- salt as required
- some coriander leaves for garnish
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- 10-12 cashew nut
- Combine everything mentioned for marination into the blender except kasuri methi and chat masala. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Add the kasuri methi and give a nice whisk.
- Now add the squared paneer and veggies to the marinade.
- Mix gently with your hand or just toss them gently. Ensure they are coated nicely with the marinade. Set aside for 30-40 mins, you could marinate in the fridge for a longer time if you wish.
- Skewer the paneer and veggies on a skewer gently. To avoid a mess stack them over a platter.
- Grease a pan with oil and place them over the greased pan. Preheat the oven to 200°C exactly 15 mins before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 mins. Brush them with oil or spray oil over them also if you have more marination mixture pour that too over them. Again bake for 10-15 mins more. Sprinkle some chat masala and squeeze lime juice over the tikka.
- Serve the malai paneer tikka with lemon wedges and green chutney.
- Grind all the ingredients for the paste and keep ready. Please dont add water
- Put oil in the pan. Saute chopped onion also add the onion grilled with the paneer tikka. Saute until light brown in color but don't burn them else it would ruin the taste.
- Add all the spice powder except amchur powder. Also add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- Now add the tomato puree. Stir and simmer for 4-5 mins.
- Time to add the white paste to the simmered tomato gravy. Also add the sugar and butter. Mix all nicely.
- Cook for 3-4 mins. Now add the prepared paneer tikka masala to the gravy. Simmer for 2 mins more, keep stirring in between.
- Finally add the crushed kasuri methi, check the taste and alter the spices if required. Just ensure you don't overcook the paneer else they might get rubbery.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and dash of cream. Serve paneer tikka masala hot with butter naan, roti or jeera rice.
2. While you skewer the cottage cheese be gentle as they might crumble so do it softly and gently.
3. You could use any veggies of your choice like mushroom, baby corn etc.
4. I prefer medium spicy but you could add more chili powder for more spice.
5. Preferably use kashmiri red chili powder for a robust, red color also it's mild spiced. If kashmiri red chili powder isn't available use deggi mirch powder instead.
6. If you want charcoal flavor then you would have to use a tandoor.
7. This gravy / sauce is slightly towards the sweeter side. So add more chili powder or green chilies if you like spicy food.
8. If you aren't able to make the paneer tikka it's okay just add them in the gravy directly. Alternatively you could shallow fry the paneer before adding to the gravy.
9. If you love thick gravy then cook until gravy thickens.
10. If you love chicken the just replace chicken instead of paneer.
mobasir hassan says
excellent recipe to try. The step by step guides are very helpful to make this recipe. It is my personal favorite. Hope i can make it like your. Looking forward for more recipes. Thank you.
You are welcome Mobasir, thanks for your views.
Geeta Shenai says
there is no onion in the gravy. have i missed some thing ?
Geeta you have to add the onion squares which are grilled with the paneer tikka in the gravy. Have mentioned in step wise details.. Hope this information helps you. Let us know how it was? thanks.