Refreshing and delicious Saffron Lassi Recipe ! What are Lassi? Lassi are yogurt based drink / shakes originating from Punjab and Northern region of India. Mainly this drink is from yogurt, sugar, cardamom seeds, spices and various flavors. Its great to Saffron Lassi this during summers to beat heat.
There are various kinds of lassis made. For example salted lassi, sweet lassi, flavored lassi like rose flavor lassi, dryfruit lassi, mango lassi, strawberry lassi, chocolate lassi etc. You could make any lassi of your choice. I have made chocolate lassi which I loved a lot being a chocoholic you could also try making at home.
For now make saffron lassi. Saffron is known as kesar in India. I have added some cashews, almonds, saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder. If you aren’t fond of sugar use honey instead.
In North India lassis are served in tall glasses with makhan (butter) floating over top. It’s quite thick and filling. But when you make home you have the option to make it thicker Or thinner by adding some water Or milk.
Saffron Lassi recipe and printable version below:
- 250 gms chilled thick yogurt
- 6 tbsp sugar Or as required (I used organic sugar)
- 1/2 cup water Or milk (optional)
- 1/2 t/s cardamom powder
- 1/2 t/s roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp of chopped cashews
- 2 tbsp of almond flakes (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tbsp pistachio flakes
- few saffron strands soaked in hot milk
- a pinch of salt
- few rose petals for garnish (optional)
- few ice cubes
- Combine all the ingredients except the ones for garnish.
- Grind until all blends well but don’t over grind else the butter will float on the top.
- Garnish with saffron strands or rose petals Or some dryfuits of your choice.
- [b]Serve chilled in glasses of your choice Or in clay / mud pots also known as kulard in India. [/b]