Full of goodness and health is Spinach Rice Indian Style!
It’s called as Palak in India also Spinach Rice are for all those fussy people who dislike green in their daily meals. This dish is tasty, healthy, low fat and super easy to make. Best part is no one comes to know how it’s green because it’s delicious and in the form of rice not veggies!
To be honest I make this specially for my hubby who is fussy about eating greens especially spinach 😉 …. I just serve him this rice hot along with fried papads Or fried bittergourd. He enjoys them and I just don’t tell him what are the ingredients into the rice! This magic works for me plus I am happy he eat’s green.
The below pic sun was playing hide and seek with me !
Mostly everyone is aware about the benefits of Spinach. I still thought to throw some more light of spinach positives.
- Spinach helps in dietary fiber, digestion, prevents constipation and curbs fat.
- It has high nutritional value and has a rich source of iron.
- Also has a high calcium content + vitamin K which helps our nervous system.
- Protects ageing and fights cancer.
So now you know why Popeye eats spinach 🙂 for more benefits of spinach check this link out . Do you need anymore reason why to eat Spinach?
Make this healthy, low cal, tasty and so easy to make is this Spinach Rice Indian Style – Palak Rice 🙂
Notes for Spinach Rice:
- Instead of spinach you could use mint to make green rice.
- Also you could replace cashews with peanuts Or almonds.
- You could also add veggies like carrots, potatoes etc.
- I required above 2 cups water as spinach also had moisture. If you feel the need of adding more water please do add.
Spinach Rice Recipe details listed below:
- 15 to 16 spinach leaves (blanched in hot water)
- 2 tbsp coconut Or olive oil
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 10 to 12 cashews
- 2 one inch cinnamon
- 2 bayleaves
- 2 onion julienne
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups rice
- ½ t/s turmeric (haldi)
- ½ tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seed powder
- 1 inch ginger julienne
- salt as per taste
- 2 cup water Or as required
- Firstly was the spinach leaves and blanch them in hot water. Now immediately pour cold water on them to retain it's green color. Chop them finely and grind into a processor until smooth puree formed. Add water if required.
- Take a big wok Or vessel. Add oil to it. Place on medium heat. Once oil is hot add caraway seeds. Once it starts cracking add bay leaves, cashews and cinnamon. Saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped onion, green chilies, ginger julienne, sugar and few coriander leaves. Saute them for 2 to 3 mins Or until onion is light brown.
- Add spinach puree and stir nicely. Scrape the mixer bowl.
- Now add all grounded spices and give a nice stir (turmeric, coriander seed powder, garam masala powder, fennel seed powder and cumin seed powder). Cook for another 3 to 4 mins on medium flame. Add water to it.
- Wash the rice and mix them in the above mixture. Add rest of coriander leaves and salt for seasoning. Add more water if required.
- Cover with a lid and cook for another 15 mins Or until rice is cooked. Keep checking in between. Place gas on medium mode.
- Garnish with roasted cashews. Serve Spinach rice hot with papads, salads Or lentils.