Moms specialty is Upma Recipe!
I used to not like upma as a child. But I have developed a taste and eat them for health factor. Semolina is the key ingredient for this recipe. It origins from South India and is quite popular breakfast across India. I don’t like to eat them outside but love my mom’s version. My dad is a big fan of this dish! I am sure many people like you also love upma 😉
Semolina is called as Rava Or Sooji In India. Mainly Shira and Upma is made from semolina for healthy breakfast. Upma is quite healthy, low fat and very nutritious to have in the mornings.
Nowadays you will get to see lot of versions of upma like bread upma, oats upma, vermicelli upma etc. People are thinking of eating low fat which is good. Nice to see Lean is in and everyone is aware of what they are eating. It’s a world of conscious eater’s.
I have changed the upma picture which I had earlier. As some food bloggers have copied the pics without intimating me Or giving credit to my blog. I told couple of them to remove which some did and some didn’t. Once of them rudely replied saying this picture she has copied from google as she is the property owner of google.
Anyways I don’t want to waste time and energy to fight with such people. From now on I am therefore using watermarks for all my pics. Better to take prevention than keep a track of people copying your blog images.
For adding some crunch is upma you can add roasted cashew nuts, ground nuts. I didn’t use any of them. Also soaked lentils like soaked chana dal and soaked urad dal is used for upma.
Mom’s Upma Recipe:
Chop onion, ginger, chilies, coriander leaves. Keep all other ingredients handy.
Take a wok Or vessel add oil. Place on low heat. Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, soaked chana dal, soaked urad dal.
Once they start crackling add hing and 4 to 5 curry leaves. Now add chopped onion, ginger, chilies and all nuts. Saute for 2 mins more.
Allow to boil for 3 to 4 mins on medium heat. Once water starts bubbling. Finally add semolina and keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
Your upma is ready serve hot. Club with chutney and hot cup of tea. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tip for Upma Recipe:
- You can skip nuts but they give nice nutty flavor.
- Some people also add red dry chilies for upma. If you wish you can add them too.
- Also you could add curry leaves while tempering the upma.
Mom’s upma recipe details listed below:
- ½ cup roasted semolina
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chana dal soaked overnight
- 1.5 tbsp urad dal soaked overnight
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 inch ginger chopped finely
- 1 green chilly chopped finely
- 1 t/s mustard seeds
- ½ t/s hing (asofoetida)
- 8 to 10 crushed roasted peanuts (optional)
- 8 to 10 roasted cashewnuts (optional)
- 1 carrot chopped Or grated finely (optional)
- few chopped coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
- Chop onion, ginger, chilies, coriander leaves. Keep all other ingredients handy.
- Take a wok Or vessel add oil. Place on low heat. Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, soaked chana dal, soaked urad dal.
- Once they start crackling add hing and 4 to 5 curry leaves. Now add chopped onion, ginger, chilies and all nuts. Saute for 2 mins more.
- Add salt for seasoning. Put sugar as well. Stir all nicely.
- Pour water into it. Combine all nicely. Add the reserved curry leaves.
- Allow to boil for 3 to 4 mins on medium heat. Once water starts bubbling. Finally add semolina and keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- After a minute the semolina will absorb all water. Now switch off the gas.
- Your upma is ready serve hot. Club with chutney and hot cup of tea.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.