Homemade Vegan Caramel Custard Recipe!
My hubby loves caramel custard so made this specially for him. This recipe comes with a twist it’s a vegan version. This recipe has the same texture but it’s light, tasty and delicious. I took only few pics as all got over so soon.
Challenge was what to use to replace milk. I am not so fond of soy milk. So I made homemade coconut milk for this dessert. Also I am not so fond of eggs so replaced eggs with agar-agar. Mostly gelatin is replaced for eggs in mousse Or souffle. However I don’t like to use gelatin as it comes from animal source so used agar-agar.
Some information on agar-agar commonly known as china grass. Agar is a gelatinous substance derived from plant extracts, red seaweeds. It has a good source of calcium, fiber, vitamins, minerals and low calorie food. Also bear in mind it won’t set in vinegar, chocolate and spinach. Agar is eaten in Japan for loosing weight. As once you eat agar you will feel full won’t be hungry soon. Hence helps in curbing weight.
Agar is easily available in stores in packed form. You get them in powder form and flakes. It’s used generally for replacing gelatin. It gives a better texture than gelatin. Hence Agar is preferred over gelatin. As agar is more powerful than gelatin.
How to use agar??? dissolve agar in water for about 10 mins. Later boil it with hot water until it dissolves completely. Now mix with sugar/milk/coconut milk/ soy milk/ cream and boil for 10 mins more. Best is to follow the instructions mentioned on the pack for better result.
Notes for Vegan Caramel Custard:
- It’s important to follow the recipe to tee Or mentioned over the agar package.
- I prefer less sugar so add sugar as per your preference.
- You could use canned coconut milk for this recipe.
- If your custard hasn’t set properly. Please don’t panic may be it requires more cooking. So boil it for some time more.
- Also if your custard tends to be more firm don’t panic add little water and boil for some time.
Vegan Caramel Custard recipe and printable details listed below:
- 1 ltr coconut milk / tinned coconut milk (I used homemade fresh coconut milk)
- 1 packet of agar-agar flakes
- 1 cup organic sugar Or as much you want
- 1 t/s vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp saffron syrup (optional) Or saffron mixed in coconut milk
- 3 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp water for caramelizing
- Soak agar flakes in water for 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile for caramel place sugar over medium heat on a pan. Keep stirring add water. Once color changes to amber-golden color and is thick.
- Switch off the gas. Pour this immediately over ramekins Or moulds.
- The caramel will set in 5 to 7 mins. Place them in the fridge they will set faster.
- Now take ½ cup water boil along with agar flakes until it dissolves completely.
- Time to add coconut milk and sugar.
- Boil for 3 to 4 mins.
- Mix some hot coconut milk with custard powder and corn flour in another bowl. Stir well ensure mixture is smooth.
- Now add this mixture to coconut milk along with vanilla essence and saffron syrup. Stir all well ensure mixture is smooth and lump free.
- Boil for 4 to 5 mins more. and add vanilla essence. Transfer the custard over caramelized ramekins Or molds.
- Allow to cool you will see the custard set once it comes to room temperature.
- Place in the fridge to chill. Serve warm Or chilled. Just microwave the mold for for 20 secs. Invert the custard over serving dish and it should slide over the plate easily along with caramel.
- Alternatively you could immerse the custard bowl over warm water for a minute.
- Invert over serving dish the custard would slide easily along with caramel.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says
Love that its made with coconut milk! Yum 🙂
Just mouthwatering…looks delicious!
Thanks so much Kalyan 🙂
Lovely, a great dish and it’s vegan.
Thanks Ash 🙂