Simply delicious Vegan Sooji Halwa with pineapples and pistachios!
Sooji halwa / Sheera/ Ravai / Semolina Pudding is a famous dessert made in India. It’s almost made in all household with different variation. Mostly sooji halwa is made with ghee (clarified butter) and milk. I have made this in a vegan version. Instead of ghee used coconut oil and instead of milk have used almond milk. So this is vegan version of sooji halwa.
I had lots of almonds back home so I thought of making almond milk. Also incorporated some pineapples and pistachios to the halwa. Sooji halwa tasted divine and all the mixture of these ingredients took this dessert altogether to a different level. So all lactose intolerant and dairy allergic people could try this.
I have been lazy to take step by step pics for this recipe. As it was morning time and was too hungry. I made two bowls and had all by myself don’t know how. May be was …….. really hungry …. Also you could make this dish as offering (prasad) to god, during festive occasion Or for breakfast…
The secret to make sooji halwa is that semolina needs to be roasted before you cook them. This gives a better impact, taste and flavor to your dish. Thought I will give break to cows milk and see for some time how it is? anyways I am not a big fan of cows milk. I love more of almond milk ….
Yes sometimes I get lazy to make almond milk so I buy a packet of cows milk. How to make almond milk??? Take a cup of almonds and soak them in hot water for an hour. Peel off their skin and grind them with some water until its smooth. Your almond milk is ready to be used. Store them in the fridge you need not boil it just keep them in the fridge. Use as and when you like…. If you like thinner consistency add little more water to the almond milk.
“Almond milk + semolina + pineapple + pistachios + coconut-milk + sugar = Vegan pineapple pistachio sooji halwa”
Notes for Vegan Sooji Halwa:
- You could use soy milk instead of almond milk.
- Also if you don’t like sugar use jaggery powder.
- I have used pistachios as nuts you could use any nut you like.
- Also flavored with pineapple fruit you could use any fruit you like. But just ensure you don’t use a juicy fruit else the halwa will be too soft and mushy.
Vegan Sooji Halwa printable details listed below:
- ½ cup pistachio flakes Or chopped finely
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 cup roasted semolina
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 1 t/s cardamom powder
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- ½ cup organic sugar Or sugar as per your sweetness
- a pinch of salt
- some cherries and flaked pistachios for garnish (optional)
- Roast semolina on a pan for 2 to 3 mins on low flame. Place it aside.
- Take a deep pan add coconut oil. Saute pistachios in it for 30 secs.
- Add roasted semolina and saute for a minute.
- Also pour almond milk, add sugar, salt, cardamom and nutmeg powder.
- Give a nice stir to it.
- Finally add hot water, pineapples. Allow to cook for a some time and keep stirring until it thickens. You will see the texture of halwa changing.
- Switch off the gas.
- Serve hot and garnish with few cherries and pistachio flakes to make it more presentable.