Easy Goan Vegetable Curry Recipe which goes well with appams, pao or steamed rice. This curry is also known as sorak in Goa. This curry could be made with veggies, without veggies or even add fish entirely upto you. Generally sorak is made during the monsoon season when there is slack of fish in the market and also breeding season for the fish.
Variety of vegetarian dishes are made in Goa which are less famous like khatkhatem, vegetable stew in coconut milk, veg caldin, goan dal, peas potato chop, patholi, tavsali (cucumber cake), varan bhat, kokam sherbet, bhindi vegetable, french beans vegetable, laal maat sabzi, aloo sabzi, usal, drumstick vegetable, jackfruit vegetable and almyache dangar (mushroom cutlet) and onion pakoras.
Majorly okra, french beans, carrots, peas and drumsticks are used in Goa to add in stew and curries. I have used mushrooms, potatoes, french beans, carrots and green peas for this curry. You could use any veggies of your choice. Generally I use all leftover veggies for such curries to pit them in good use and also not waste them 😉
Goa, Kerala, Konkan have a common factor in their cuisine what is that??? That’s coconuts they are used in abundance in their food. Be it dry coconut, fresh coconut, coconut milk or coconut water. Coconut’s are their integral part in their food. I also come from similar background hence use a lot of coconuts in my kitchen.
I never sit and grate coconuts. Instead I break coconuts slice the flesh, dry grind into the mixer. Store the coconut into the freezer and use when required. They last for a long time and no need to break your head with coconut anymore 😉
The orangish red color to the curry is come from the dry red kashmiri chilies. So if you don’t have them use bedgi chilies or any dry red chili but won’t be able to assure you this deep red color with any other chilies. If dry red chilies aren’t available the use kashmiri red chili powder.
How to make Vegetable Curry Recipe :
1. Chop all the veggies and immerse them in water with little salt.
2. Combine all the ingredients in the grinder with little water. Grind until smooth paste is formed.
4. Saute until light brown in color.
5. Add the grounded paste.
6. Saute for 2-3 mins.
7. Time to add all the veggies.
8. Add salt for seasoning.
9. Lastly add water and green chilies. Simmer until the curry starts bubbling and the veggies are cooked.
10. Serve the vegetable curry hot with rice, pao (bread) or appams.
If you are looking for more goan recipes then do check goan fry prawns, goan shark fry, goan pomfret recheado, raw banana fry, dry shrimp curry with raw mango, mandeli curry, mandeli fry, dry clams, shark fry, fish ambotik curry, fresh bombay duck curry and crab curry.
Vegetable Curry Recipe cart below:
- 100 gms fresh sliced or grated coconut
- 4-5 dry kashmiri red chilies
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 small ball of seedless tamarind
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 5-6 mushrooms chopped coarsely
- 6-7 french beans chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- ¼ th cup chopped carrot
- ¼th cup green peas
- 3-4 okra chopped length-wise
- 2-3 green chilies slit length-wise
- 1 cup water or as required
- salt as per taste
- Grind all the ingredients with little water until smooth paste is formed. Place it aside.
- Chop all the veggies and immerse them in water with little salt.
- Take a wok or vessel add oil. Once oil is heated add onion
- Saute until light brown in color.
- Add the grounded paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Time to add all the veggies.
- Add salt for seasoning.
- Lastly add water and green chilies. Simmer until the curry starts bubbling and the veggies are cooked.
- Serve the vegetable curry hot with rice, pao (bread) or appams.
2. Add any veggies of your choice.