Vepudu Aloo Recipes originates from South India! Potatoes are called as Aloo in India. We have eaten Vepudu Aloo in a hotel called Park Estique in Pune almost a month back. My hubby had loads of Vepudu Aloo out there he just loved them. So I decided to make Vepudu Aloo for my hubby :)……….. Aloo Vepudu is nothing but a mixture of spices in which potatoes are tossed, stir fried and cooked. Vepudu Aloo Recipe is one of the easiest and delicious dish for Potato Lovers like my hubby and you 😉
Vepudu Aloo is best when teamed up with rotis, phulkas, naan Or rice. The dish came out so well it got over in a jiffy. Most of it my hubby ate 😉 ….. Sometimes some dishes are so simple to make yet so delicious and yummy. I am gonna make more again.
India has so many dishes to explore. The more dishes I make I feel there is yet lot more to make 🙂 Right from North to South to East and West India has various cuisines and dishes to offer. Some are subtle, some are spicy and hot, some are sweet and sour. Guess I will never ever finish making these wonderful recipes.
Let’s make step by step Vepudu Aloo Recipe.
- 5 to 6 medium sized potatoes with skin (washed and cut into small cubes)
- 14 to 15 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ t/s turmeric powder
- ½ t/s fenugreek seeds
- 1 t/s urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 t/s mustard seeds
- 2-3 red chilies (kashmiri or dry red chili)
- a pinch of asofoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 t/s coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 1 t/s garam masala powder
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 t/s roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala (optional)
- few chopped coriander leaves
- black salt Or salt as per taste
- Firstly make vepudu powder and keep aside. Mix all spice powder and keep aside.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly under running tap water.Peel the skin and chop into small cubes as tiny as you can. Immerse them in water with some salt for 10 -15 mins.
- Take a wok Or pan add oil. Once oil is hot add curry leaves, mustard seed, fenugreek seed, asofoetida, urad dal and sugar. Saute nicely for a minute. Ensure the gas is on low flame.
- Now add chopped potatoes ensure you don't add water while adding potatoes. Cover with a lid allow to cook for 5 to 7 mins. Keep stirring in between else potatoes might stick at the bottom.
- Once potatoes are parboiled Or half cooked. Remove the lid add all the spiced powder which is the vepudu masala.
- Now stir fry the potatoes on high flame with lid Or without lid. Keep stirring continuously.
- Once potatoes are crispy and cooked. Check the seasoning and taste. Add spices if required. Add chat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Switch off the gas your Vepudu Aloo is ready. Serve hot with roti, naan Or rice.
2. You can also use mashed potatoes for this dish and use it as a filling in rava masala Or masala dosa Or to make bondas.
3. Also vepudu masala can be used for other veggies like brinjal, pumpkin etc.
4. You can squeeze lime juice at the end if you want some tanginess. I sprinkled some chat masala and amchur powder on it.
5. You can use raw potatoes Or boiled potatoes as per your preference. Raw potatoes also doesn't take that long as the potatoes are chopped into small pieces