Vietnamese Iced Coffee Recipe also known as café sua da or café da is a traditional coffee in Vietnam. This coffee is creamy, thick and is the great savior after a heavy day. I am an ardent fan of cold coffee have tried many version but loved this recipe. We usually drink a variety of cold coffee like iced coffee, cold coffee with ice-cream, chocolate coffee milkshake and the list goes on.
The main ingredient which goes in making this drink is condensed milk and strong coarse coffee. The other equipment which is required for this special coffee is the coffee press. I don’t have one so thought of coming up with the old idea of making coffee concoction then straining them on a sieve mesh.
Could you believe only 3 ingredients and your drink is ready? The other main ingredient which is essential for this recipe are ice cubes without them they would be incomplete. Condensed milk is added first then goes the ice cubes till the brim. Now drip the hot coffee on top. Stir well and your café sua da is ready.
Generally, 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk is added however it depends on your sweet preference and the size of the glass. So if the coffee isn’t sweet don’t worry add some more condensed milk. For variation, you could try adding some vanilla extract.
The best part is you don’t have to hunt for chilled milk or this coffee. Just have sweetened condensed milk and your sorted.
You could use dark roast coffee in coarse form if using a coffee press and coffee powder if using sieve – mesh. I have used dark coffee roasted and powdered at home. So you could use any strong coffee for this drink.
Let’s make Vietnamese Iced Coffee Recipe stepwise:
- Mix roasted coffee powder or coarse coffee powder in hot boiling water. Stir nicely and cover with a lid for 5-10 mins.
2. Now strain the coffee on a mesh sieve strainer.
3. Pour 1.5 tbsp condensed milk in each glass.
4. Add ice cubes up to the brim of the glass.
5. Pour about 1 tbsp coffee concoction or more if required in each glass. You could add them hot or cold doesn’t really matter as ice cubes would make them cold anyways 🙂 Add as per your preference.
6. It would appear something like the below pic.
7. Stir all nicely else the condensed milk would sit nicely at the bottom.
8. Your café sua da is ready to be served.
Vietnamese Iced Coffee recipe and printable version below.
- 2 tbsp dark roast coffee powder or coarse of any good brand
- 3 or 4 tbsp boiling hot water
- 1.5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk for each serving or as required (I used Amul Mithai Mate)
- 8-10 ice cubes
- Mix coffee in hot boiling water. Stir nicely and cover with a lid for 5-10 mins.
- Now strain the coffee on a mesh sieve strainer.
- Pour 1.5 tbsp condensed milk in each glass.
- Add ice cubes
uptothe brim of the glass.
- Pour about 1 tbsp coffee concoction or more if required in each glass. Stir all nicely else the condensed milk would sit nicely at the bottom.
- Your café
sua da isready to be served.
2.For <g class="gr_ gr_105 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="105" data-gr-id="105">variation</g> you could add vanilla extract