Besan Sev Recipe or sev recipe- is a mild spiced, deep fried savory and snack made during Diwali. Besan Sev is nothing but gram flour sticks. It’s commonly known as kara sev and ghatiya in Gujarathi. These are great Diwali savories Or snacks also taste great with a cup of tea. I love this as since a child dipping in tea and eating with spoon. However when I made them today I really loved them more. It’s healthy, tasty and crispy plus make them how much you want.
Soon will try another version of this yum snack soon. As soon as I made I have eaten quite a lot of them. Leaving little for my hubby 😉 …… These are made with basic ingredients found in your kitchen. Besan sev needs besan, rice flour, some spices and water. Quite easy to make only part to take care is not to burn your hand or face while frying them.
Also important to take a wide vessel while frying. This will help you in frying them easily and they won’t get burnt. Don’t fry too many at a time. You would require a chakli presser with a sev mould. You could use sev mould with thin or thick holes it’s your choice. If you use thinner one it will look like nylon sev so use your intelligence and use them.
One more thing when you use a chakli presser it’s important to grease oil from within at-least an hour before using. You get these equipment easily at any Indian stores selling steel wares. Ask them chakli-presser they would give them to you.
How to make besan sev recipe:
1. Sift besan and rice flour. Add salt, red chili powder, cumin seed, ajwain powder, turmeric and baking soda. Mix all nicely.
2. Now add little water to knead the dough. The dough should be soft and smooth. Ensure you don’t add too much water. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest fro 15 mins.
3. Take greased chakli maker with sev attachment. Place some sev dough on it and close tightly. Also place a deep wide pan add oil on medium heat.
4. Be careful the oil shouldn’t be too hot nor too mild. Press the dough into circular motion.
5. Deep fry from both sides until crisp. With the help of slotted spoon remove extra oil. Place them on absorbent napkin.
6. Allow them to cool and store into an airtight container. This would last for a week. Serve Besan sev as a snack or side dish.
Check some more Diwali Recipes like gulab jamun, mohanthal, boondi ladoo, spicy shankarpali ,phirni, basundi and nankhatai.
Besan Sev recipe card below:
- 3 cups oil for deep frying
- 3-4 tablespoon of water for kneading or as required
- 12 tbsp besan (gram flour / chickpea flour) I used organic flour
- 4 tbsp rice flour (I used organic flour)
- 1 t/s turmeric powder
- 1 t/s kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp carom seed powder (ajwain powder)
- ½ t/s baking soda
- salt as per taste
- Sift besan and rice flour. Add salt, red chili powder, cumin seed, ajwain powder, turmeric and baking soda. Mix all nicely.
- Now add little water to knead the dough. The dough should be soft and smooth. Ensure you don't add too much water. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest fro 15 mins.
- Take greased chakli maker with sev attachment. Place some sev dough. Also place a deep wide pan add oil on medium heat.
- Be careful the oil shouldn't be too hot nor too mild. Press the dough into circular motion.
- Deep fry from both sides until crisp. With the help of slotted spoon remove extra oil. Place them on absorbent napkin.
- Allow them to cool and store into an airtight container. This would last for a week.
Don't fry too many at a time.
Fry them on medium heat else they might burn.
If you like it spicy add more chili powder.
For variation your could add ginger-chili paste.
Sadaf Fatima says
wow! this is an amazing and easy recipe!
Thanks Sadaf 🙂
My press works for 1/2 and then it jams the dough down but ge handle becomes too hard to turn and won’t press it out. Why? Am i not oiling it enough? Whats process of oiling, please?
Kumat are you using a wooden or metal presser. Just apply oil all over the press over-night and use it next day. Also apologize for the delay in reply as was out-stationed. Hope this information helps you 🙂
How many bites of sev you could make out of this ingredients ??
Anamika this sev recipe can serve 6 to 7 people, but its difficult to calculate in bites 😉 hope you understand.
Thankyou Ruks 🙂
This is something I can’t stop eating.
Hope you had a great Diwali.
Thanks Ash yes had good Diwali hope you had a great one too 🙂 🙂