Fish Ambotik Curry recipe is a spicy and tangy curry. The word ambot means sour and tik means spicy. This dish goes well with appams, pao (bread), rice and sanas. Recipe inherited from my grandmom, to my mom and now to me 😉
One has to be aquainted with the taste of ambotik to like them. I have eaten this since my childhood and prepare various types of ambotik home. Fishes which goes best with this recipes are shark, prawns, sardines, king fish, salmon, tongue fish (lep) and mackerels.
The spices and ingredients used for ambotik is more or less the same. The only difference is I have used teppal spice or tirphal spice also known as Sichuan Pepper. Sichuan pepper has a unique aroma and flavour that is not hot or pungent. So be careful while adding them to the curries. I have just added one teppal while making the curry paste and just two of them in the curry.
Mainly dry red kashmiri chilies are used in Goan cuisine which imparts the deep red orange color to the curries. In case you aren’t able to find them then just use dry bedgi chilies or kashmiri red chili powder.
There are some realities about food which is quite miraculous for instance a biryani would taste much better the next day. Even a stale chicken curry, fish curry, ambotik etc always tastes better the next day. That’s why most of people have curries with pav as breakfast the next day 🙂
Though Goa is small yet the food is diversified and has a lot of variations. You travel from North Goa to the South Goa the recipes would differ also some people add curry leaves, asofoetida (hing), fenugreek seeds and some don’t. So it’s upto you if you would like to add curry leaves or not as I have added them in the ambotik.
How to make fish ambotik curry recipe stepwise:
1. Grind all the ingredients for the paste until smooth. Add little water if required.
2. Take a vessel or pan add oil. Once oil is hot add chopped onion.
3. Also add curry leaves.
4. Saute the onion until light brown in color.
5. Time to add tomatoes. Saute until tender.
6. Add the grounded paste and mix well.
7. You could add water, vinegar and salt.
8. Also add the fish.
9. Cook until the curry thickens and the fish is cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the ambotik hot with pao, bread or steamed rice.
Fish Ambotik curry recipe card below:
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- ½ onion (pyaz)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (lehsun)
- 1 small ball of seedless tamarind or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp (imli)
- 8-10 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1 to 2 teppal spice (optional)
- a pinch of fenugreek seed (methi dana)
- 1 tsp cumin seed (jeera)
- ½ onion chopped finely
- 1 tomato chopped length wise
- 3-4 cleaned, diced fish (any fish like mackerel or sardines or shark)
- 7-8 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp water or as consistency required
- Grind all the ingredients for the paste until smooth. Add water if required.
- Take a vessel or pan add oil. Once oil is hot add chopped onion.
- Also add curry leaves and saute the onion until light brown in color.
- Time to add tomatoes. Saute until tender.
- Add the grounded paste and mix well.
- You could add water, vinegar and salt.
- Also add the fish.
- Cook until the curry thickens and the fish is cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the ambotik hot with pao, bread or steamed rice.
2. If dry red red kashmiri chilies arent available then use bedgi red chilies instead.
3. Instead of adding teppal spice to the ground paste you could add them to the curry instead.