Vegetarian Goan Peas Potato Chop! I am very happy to share Goan Peas Potato Chop recipe with everyone. Usually chops are very famous in Goa mostly minced meat is added as a filling in the chop. I am sharing a vegan and vegetarian version which consist of green peas as the filling. This chop is crispy, delicious, healthy and shallow fried which makes it guilt free 😉 My hubby loves chops be it veg Or non veg he ate almost all of them in a few minutes everything was vanished ha ha.
Actually there are lot of variations to make Goan Peas Potato Chop. Some people add french beans, tomatoes, some dip the chops into egg batter and deep fry. Some people add bread crumbs and meat to the chops.
Green Peas are high in fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, and lutein. Green peas are loaded with antioxidants, helps in regulating blood in body, great for heart care. So do include green peas in your diet. Just like you I wasn’t a big fan of green peas but now that I know their benefits I have started eating them on a weekly basis.
Goan Peas Potato Chop recipe card below:
- 2 tbsp oil for shallow frying + 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 10 to 12 cashewnuts crushed
- 1.5 tbsp wheat flour Or refined flour
- 4 potatoes medium sized around 300 gms
- 1 cup boiled green peas
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 1/2 tomato chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp rice flour + 2 tbsp semolina for coating the chops
- salt Or black salt as per taste
- Firstly boil potatoes and green peas until tender.Keep the boiled green peas also aside.
- Peel off the potato skin mash them. Now add flour and salt to it. Mix all nicely with your finger Or spatula.
- Take a pan add 1 tbsp butter to it. Once oil is hot add cumin seed and cashew nuts. Once it starts crackling add chopped onion and green chilies. Saute until slightly brown in color.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste to it. Mix nicely until the raw smell of ginger-garlic vanishes.
- It’s time to add chopped carrots and tomatoes. saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add garam masala and turmeric powder. Mix all nicely.
- Put the boiled green peas and salt. Cook until the mixture is dry.
- Rub some oil in your palms. Make 14 to 15 equal sized balls. With the help of your finger flatten each ball. Now scoop 1 tbsp filling of peas mixture over it. Bring the edges to the center to cover up the filling.
- Make a round patty. Repeat the same with rest of the balls. Ensure the filling isn’t too much else the patty might burst.
- Mix rice flour + semolina on a wide dish. Roll the patty over the flour+semolina mixture. Take a pan add 2 tbsp oil. Place on high heat once oil is hot. Reduce the flame and place the patties over it. Fry few at one time else it will be difficult for you to flip over the patties.
- Shallow fry them from both sides until golden brown and crisp. Serve hot with tomato sauce and a cup of hot tea