Goan Prawns Curry Recipe hails from Goa and is a classic fish curry made with prawns or any fish. This Goan Prawns Curry is also known as Sungta Human or sungta hooman curry in the local language of Goa.
Goan Prawns Curry Recipe goes well with pao, steamed rice and fry fish. We club the curry with some vegetable, fry fish and pickle sometimes. I could just eat this curry with rice without any extra side dish.
Since it’s season of mangoes you could add raw mangoes. Else you could add kokam or tamarind paste. I have used tamarind paste for the curry. I have apparently tried goan prawns curry, prawns curry in coconut milk, prawns biryani, prawn curry, prawns fry, butter garlic pepper prawns, prawns curry south style and prawns pulao.
Goan Prawns Curry Recipe is a comfort meal and could be made easily at home. Generally spices like dry red chilies, coriander seed, coconut, coconut milk is used. Also some more spices are used which are easily available in your kitchen or any Indian store.
Goan Prawns Curry Recipe card below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 250 gms peeled prawns
- 3 tbsp tamarind pulp or 1 raw mango chopped length wise into 2 pieces
- ½ onion chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves optional
- 1 and ½ cup coconut milk
- few chopped coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
- 1 cup water
- ½ inch ginger
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp coriander seed
- 7 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 16 peppercorns
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 t/s turmeric powder
- Marinate prawns with little salt and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the paste into a grinder with a cup of water. Grind to a fine and smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a vessel. Once oil is hot add curry leaves, half chopped onion and saute until they change color.
- Add the ground paste, raw mango or tamarind paste, salt, green chilies and prawns.
- Cook for 2-3 mins or until the prawns are cooked and tender.
- Time to add coconut milk and simmer for 2 mins on low heat.
- Switch off the gas and don't over cook else the coconut milk might cuddle.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the goan prawns curry with rice and fry fish.
2. The consistency of the curry is nor too thick nor too thin. You could add water accordingly.
3. If you love spice then add more of dry red chilies while grinding.