Veg Fried Rice Recipe a popular street food from the Mumbai streets. You would find chinese dishes all over the nooks and corners of Mumbai. Mostly you would get indo chinese recipe and less of authentic chinese. But you would also find some joints where you would get authentic chinese recipes.
This veg fried rice happens to be my favorite. We order fried rice along with chili paneer, chili chicken or mushrooms, vegetable manchurian, chicken manchurian or some gravy based dish. Along with Chinese we also love thai food especially red thai curry.
You could make this fried rice with any veggies of your choice. For instance you could use mushrooms, corn etc. I have stuck to the basics have used cabbage, carrots, capsicum, french beans, spring onion whites and greens. I have used two different things which makes this rice more authentic. I have used sichuan pepper and celery. If you would like to know more about sichuan pepper then click here.
If you are not able to find sichuan pepper then use black pepper powder instead. I had picked mine from Goa last year. Waiting to buy some more as I love this spice. It’s also used in Goan good a lot especially in Goan fish curries.
Today we had veg manchurian and fried rice for dinner, would soon post the recipe. Chinese is all about stir frying in a wok on high heat. Lot’s of veggies goes in making chinese food. So mentally be prepared to do a lot of chopping vegetables. You could chop them in advance and store them in the fridge. If you ask me I hate lots of chopping but anything for fried rice 😉 Either you could grate the veggies, chop them finely or use a processor to lessen your work and time.
If you are a non vegetarian then you could add boiled shredded chicken, scrambled eggs, prawns etc. Veg fried rice by itself would be little dry to eat so club with schezuan sauce, chili paneer / chicken, veg manchurian or a gravy based dish. I generally order manchurian, chopsuey or some dish which has sauce.
In-fact you could make veg fried rice for your kids tiffin box or hubbys lunch box. They would also happily eat 🙂
Veg Fried Rice printable version below:
- 2 cups basmati rice (long grained rice)
- 4-5 cups water or as required
- 2.5 tbsp oil or as required
- 1 tbsp celery chopped finely
- 2 medium sized carrot grated or chopped finely
- 1 cup cabbage chopped grated or chopped finely
- 1 small capsicum or bell pepper chopped finely
- 1-2 green chilies chopped finely (optional)
- 5-6 spring onion whites chopped finely (reserve the green for later use)
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- 12-14 french beans chopped diagonally or finely
- ½ tsp sichuan pepper powder or ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili-tomato sauce (optional)
- ½ tbsp sugar (optional)
- salt as per taste
- Firstly cook rice until it's perfectly cooked. Rice shouldn't be mushy or undercooked. Place the rice over a colander to strain excess water. Cool the rice completely and place aside.
- Meanwhile chop all the veggies and keep everything handy before you start cooking.
- Take a deep wok / vessel add oil. Once oil is hot add celery and saute on high flame for 3-4 secs.
- Immediately add whites of spring onion, ginger, garlic, french beans, chilies, carrots, cabbage, capsicum and sugar. Saute on a high flame.
- High heat is essential so that the veggies fry easily, evenly and also taste crunchy. It would be of great help if you could use a non stick pan as it would consume less oil and also would be non sticky. You could also cook on medium heat. It took me around 4 mins for the veggies to cook and stir fry on high heat.
- Now add half of greens of spring onion, soy sauce, chili sauce if using, sichuan pepper powder or pepper powder and salt.
- Stir the rice gently for 2-3 mins or until rice is coated with all veggies, spice and sauce. Be gentle else the rice might break and get mushy. Garnish with the rest of greens of spring onion.a
- Serve the veg fried rice with a chinese gravy based dish.
2. Also if you like eggs then add scrambled eggs to the rice.
3. I have added chilies but they are optional.
4. Any veggies of your choice could be added as mushroom, corn etc.
5. If you don't get celery then just skip it.
6. Always add soy sauce towards the end as it gives a nice punch and flavor to the food. Otherwise the flavor is lost while cooking.