Chilli Paneer Recipe one of my favorite Indo Chinese Food. We make this many times home as my parents love this dish a lot. Even in restaurants chilli paneer is always on our menu list to order for food. It’s quite strange but we love to eat this dish with rotis or bread whereas it’s just eaten as a starter or a side dish. In-fact in Mumbai Chili Paneer is a popular street food and is served in several joints and also across the street of Mumbai.
If you are a vegan then add tofu instead of paneer, if you are a hardcore non vegetarian then add chicken instead. Chilli Paneer is also loved by kids so make them for their lunch box or quick meals.
This recipe could be made easily with basic ingredients found in your kitchen. Only a spice called Sichuan pepper powder also known as Teppal spice or triphal in India. If you are unable to find this just skip them. The other main ingredient is soy sauce of good brand which is easily available everywhere. For more information of teppal or triphal spice click here.
For this recipe you could use home made paneer or store bought paneer. I have used store bought paneer and also some home made paneer. With home-made paneer you got to be careful as it’s quite soft so it might crumble. Best would be to toss them in corn flour and shallow fry.
Actually this dish is a replica of chili chicken where chicken is replaced with paneer. Chilli Paneer Recipe is a treat for vegetarians and also for people who are fond of paneer. Paneer is versatile and used in many dishes in India like palak paneer, malai paneer, methi malai paneer, paneer pakora etc.
Let’s make step by step Chilli Paneer Recipe:
1. Firstly take one tbsp oil and shallow fry the paneer until light brown in color.
2. Remove the paneer and place on absorbent napkin. In the same oil saute garlic and ginger for a minute.
3. Now add the chopped onion and saute until they change color.
4. Add the capsicum, sichuan pepper powder and chilies, saute for 2 mins.
5. Time to add sugar and mix everything.
6. Add half of chopped greens from spring onion and reserve rest for garnish.
7. Now add the paneer.
8. Also add corn flour mixed with water, vinegar and salt.
9. Cook for 2 mins more on high heat. Lastly add soy sauce and mix nicely.
10. Switch off the gas and serve the chilli paneer recipe hot with fried rice or toasted bread.
If you are looking for more paneer recipes then check methi malai paneer, kadai paneer, paneer malai curry, paneer tikka pizza, paneer kolhapuri recipe, paneer gulab jamun, aloo matar paneer, paneer pasanda recipe, mughlai palak paneer, paneer indian recipe, palak paneer recipe and paneer toast sandwich.
Chilli Paneer Recipe below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 200-250 gms paneer (cottage cheese) chopped into squares
- 2 medium sized onion chopped into squares or 5-6 whites of spring onion
- ½ cup of chopped green of spring onion
- 8-10 garlic chopped finely
- 1 inch ginger chopped finely or grated
- 1 capsicum chopped into squares
- 2-3 green or red chilies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ th cup coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 t/s vinegar (optional)
- 1 t/s sichuan pepper powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp corn flour + 2 tbsp water dissolved in water
- salt or ajinomoto as per taste
- Firstly take one tbsp oil and shallow fry the paneer until light brown in color.
- Remove the paneer and place on absorbent napkin. In the same oil saute garlic and ginger for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onion and saute until they change color.
- Add the capsicum, sichuan pepper powder and chilies, saute for 2 mins.
- Time to add sugar and mix everything.
- Add half of chopped greens from spring onion and reserve rest for garnish.
- Now add the paneer.
- Also add corn flour mixed with water, vinegar and salt.
- Cook for 2 mins more on high heat.
- Lastly add soy sauce and mix nicely.
- Switch off the gas and serve the chilli paneer recipe hot with fried rice or toasted bread.
2. Adding soy sauce towards the end retains the taste and adds a tangy punch to your dish.
3. Add chilies as per spice required.
4. Alternatively you could coat paneer with corn flour before shallow frying them.
5. You could make this dry by cooking and evaporating moisture or make it semi dry.
Mrs.Bhavani Thaygaraj says
Thank you so much for the chilli paneer recipe.
You are welcome Mrs Bhavani hope you have tried them.