Hmmmm Indian Garam Masala Powder is world famous now!
In India Garam Masala Powder is used widely in curries, pulaos, biryanis, vegetables etc. Without Garam Masala most of our recipes would be like sea without salt 🙂 …… This masala is available everywhere in numerous brands. However I love the one made at home that too by mom. But post marriage I made this by myself for many a times.
Indian Garam Masala Powder gives strong aroma, impact, flavor and color. Unlike the ones you get in the market. Most important is you could make as much quantity you wish to make. Just add about half a tbsp of garam masala it’s that strong. Moreover home made Garam Masala Powder gives great taste, flavor, aroma and taste to your food. It’s worth trying home.
I also tried making vegetable pulao hotel style with this masala. Turned out damn neat and delicious. Not only in pulaos you can them in lentils, biryanis, vegetable, pavbhaji etc. It’s important to taste and see how strong it is else your dish will become strong and spicy. Everyone has their own recipe of garam masala. This is my version of garam masala 🙂
There are many kind of garam masala made like punjabi garam masala, maharashtrian garam masala etc. More Or less same spices are used but in different proportions. Some add dash of red chilies some add dry ginger powder etc. Check some of the recipe made from garam masala like Indian Garam Masala Rice Recipe, Hot and Spicy Anda Curry, Instant Dal Makhani, How to make North Indian Butter Chicken, Indian Mixed Sprouts curry
Roast all the ingredients except salt on a pan on slow fire. Stir in between and switch off the gas once it leaves a nice aroma and is slightly brown.
Combine all the roasted spices plus salt into a processor. Grind until powder is formed. You can keep them coarse Or fine it’s upto you.
Store them in an airtight container.
Tips for Indian Garam Masala Recipe:
- Ensure the fire is low while roasting else your spices will get burnt.
- You can store them uptil 2 months in an airtight container Or bottle.
- If you like spice add 2 to 3 red chilies in garam masala for variation.
Indian Garam Masala recipe details listed below:
- 7 to 8 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 5 to 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutmeg powder
- 18 t0 20 black pepper
- 12 to 13 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 mace (javitri)
- 8 to 10 green cardamom
- 2 to 3 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 5 to 6 (black) stone flower (dagad phool)
- 1 t/s dried ginger powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Roast all the ingredients except salt on a pan on slow fire. Stir in between and switch off the gas once it leaves a nice aroma and is slightly brown.
- Combine all the roasted spices plus salt into a processor. Grind until powder is formed. You can keep them coarse Or fine it’s upto you.