Malai Paneer Recipe (cottage cheese) – is the quickest and easiest paneer dish made in less than twenty five mins. You could serve this dish with roti, naan or just eat them as a starter. It would also be a great idea to use this dish as a stuffing in burger or sandwiches. I have adapted and slightly modified malai paneer recipe from Dassana’s blog here is the link to her recipe.
You could use home-made paneer or store bought paneer for this dish. We had malai paneer with some salad and raita along with rice and rotis. The reason I tried this recipe was simply it’s so quick and could me made easily when you have guests at home or lack of time.
I have added added capsicum and roasted cumin powder which the original recipe doesn’t call for. So adding capsicum is optional. Also I have roasted the kasuri methi before adding to the dish which gives great flavor to the dish.
The best part of this malai paneer recipe is it doesn’t call for tandoor, oven or any other equipment’s. This could be made by anyone with basic ingredients found in your kitchen. Hence I was tempted to try this dish. This is semi dry dish but if you like it more gravy then add more cream. If you like the dish dry then add less cream.
If you love paneer with malai (cream) then check paneer tikka masala, paneer tikka, malai paneer curry and methi malai paneer recipe.
How to make step by step Malai Paneer Recipe:
1. Take a pan add oil / butter place on medium heat. Once oil is hot add onion.
2. Saute onion until it’s pale brown in color. Please don’t make the onion too brown.
3. Add the crushed ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 20-30 secs or until the raw smell disappears from them.
4. Time to add the chopped capsicum if using. Stir and saute for a minute on medium heat.
5. Now add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
6. Stir the spices nicely, add the paneer cubes and salt. Gently mix and ensure the masala coats the paneer from all sides.
7. Add the cream, coriander leaves and stir gently.
8. Once the cream is absorbed and after 2-3 mins the mixture would start getting dry. At this point switch off the gas or add little more cream if you like to have some gravy. Finally add the roasted kasuri methi over the top.
9. Switch off the gas and serve malai paneer hot with salad, roti or rice.
Check more paneer recipes on blog like paneer toast sandwich, palak paneer, indian paneer recipe, paneer pasanda, paneer gulab jamun, paneer kolhapuri, paneer tikka pizza, kadai paneer, chilli paneer and aloo matar paneer.
Malai Paneer recipe card below:
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- 200 to 250 gms fresh paneer (cottage cheese) chopped into cubes or squares
- ½ cup cream or low fat cream
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder or ⅓ rd tsp of any red chili powder
- ¼th tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ t/s roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (crushed and pestle them with a mortar)
- ⅛th tsp garam masala powder
- ¼th tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi slightly roasted on a pan over low heat for a minute then crushed with palm)
- ½ capsicum chopped finely (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- salt as per taste
- Take a pan add oil / butter place on medium heat. Once oil is hot saute onion until it's pale brown in color. Please don't make the onion too brown.
- Add the crushed ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 20-30 secs or until the raw smell disappears from them.
- Time to add the chopped capsicum if using. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Now add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Stir the spices nicely, add the paneer cubes, coriander leaves and salt. Gently mix and ensure the masala coats the paneer from all sides.
- Add the cream and stir gently. Once the cream is absorbed and after 2-3 mins the mixture would start getting dry. At this point switch off the gas or add little more cream if you like to have some gravy.
- Finally add the roasted kasuri methi over the top.
- Switch off the gas and serve malai paneer hot with salad, roti or rice.
2. If you aren't fond of paneer then add mushrooms instead.
3. If kasuri methi isn't available then just add a pinch of fenugreek powder instead.
JUST AWESOME!!!!♥ LOVED IT
Thanks Manu for positive views:)
Anushka singh says
Thanks for the recipe
It’s very easy and very tasty also
thank you so much for posting this
Welcome Anushka thanks for positive feedback. Glad you liked the malai paneer recipe 🙂
Thanks for the recipe it turned out awesome
It’s so quick n easy
Thank you Nisha for positive views 🙂 and you are welcome.
This turned out so well! Thanks a ton for this recipe 😀
Welcome Gargi pleased to know you liked the malai paneer 🙂 thankyou for your kind words.
Made this for dinner. We truly enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.
Pattie you are welcome 🙂 and thankyou for trying the malai paneer recipe.
Awesome looking dish…
Thankyou Rumana 🙂