Yummylicious, delectable, light,airy and spongy Mango Sponge Cake Recipe with Pistachios! Yesterday was eid and I tried recipe of mango sponge cake. My hubby complimented that this is one of the best cakes I made so far. He is my best critic and I believe his feedback to the core. Actually this cake got vanished in an hours time. Half we ate, guests at home ate and some friends and neighbors relished it.
I have fallen for sponge cakes, deeply, madly in love with the texture of sponge cakes. Although I dislike eggs in cakes but can’t stop eating sponge cakes. The reason being sponge cakes have no butter, no oil hence it’s guilt free dessert.
To make this cake more flavorful and presentable I frosted with whipped cream. Further added choco chips, cocoa powder, pistachios and mango sorbet. Trust me this cake is a delight to watch and treat for your stomach.
The best part is it’s easy to make, less time consuming and could make them in advance. I will try an eggless mango sponge cake. Guess I am in love with yellow cakes. I am yet to try my hands on pineapple cake, cherry cake, citrus cakes, fondant cakes and the list is endless.
I used a flower shaped pan for my cake. You could use a round shaped pan for baking Or even a loaf pan. The extra batter which remained I baked in cupcake moulds. Later layered the cupcakes one over the other. The cupcakes could be layered if they are small and not bumpy on top. In case its bumpy on top chop off thin layer with knife. Place one cupcake spread some whipped cream. Place another cupcake again spread some whipped cream. Top with mango sorbet and chocochips. Serve them for indoor parties Or kids birthday parties. They look also good and tastes even better.
I have clicked so many pics. It was getting difficult for me to choose my images this time. So unlike my other posts this one has more pics. As I loved all pics posted most of them which I liked. Hope you like the pics too!
Mango Sponge Cake printable and detailed recipe instructions below:
- For Sponge:
- 150 gms flour
- 1 t/s baking powder
- 1 t/s salt
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 3 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 150 gms organic granulated sugar / caster sugar (I used organic sugar)
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 15 to 16 pistachios finely chopped + 1 tbsp chopped pistachios for garnishing
- 75 ml of mango pulp (fresh Or canned)
- For Frosting:
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios for garnishing
- some cocoa powder for dusting
- some mango sorbet Or icecream for topping (optional)
- some choco chips
- Preheat oven at 160°C exactly ten minutes before baking. Grease a round pan Or flower pan Or loaf pan with parchment Or butter paper at the bottom. I have used a flower pan and just greased the pan and dusted some flour as forgot to place the parchment paper 😉
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Place them aside. Separate the egg yolks and whites. Place the yolks and whites in separate mixing bowls.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed for 2 mins. Then add half of sugar with the cream of tartar. Beat again on high speed until soft peaks are formed. Please don't over beat else the whites will be stiff peaks and so your cake.
- Now mix yolks with sugar. Beat on a high speed until they are light and fluffy. Add mango pulp and beat again until the mixture is nicely incorporated.
- Fold sifted dry ingredients into batches of three into yolk-sugar mixture. Also add vanilla extract and chopped pistachios.
- Lastly fold the beaten egg whites gently into the mixture. Please don’t over-mix it else the result would be stiff cake.
- Pour the batter gently over the greased, lined pan.
- Tap the pan gently before baking.
- Bake at 160°C for 40-45 mins Or until the skewer comes out clean from the center-bottom of the cake. Allow the cake to cool down for 5-7 mins. Gently unmould the cake remove the parchment paper.
- Meanwhile prepare the whipped cream. Once cake is chilled spread the whipped cream over the cake. Dust some cocoa powder and spread some pistachios over the center Or the periphery of the cake.
- Alternatively you could top with mango sorbet Or mango icecream.
- Sprinkle some choco chips. Preferably have this cake chilled.
2. If you don't have pistachios add almonds.
3. If mango pulp isn't available use papaya pulp Or any other fruit pulp.