Masala Tea Powder or masala chai powder – Easy Masala Chai Powder prepared with whole ground spices and some secret ingredients to give you that taste & flavor in your daily tea. Masala refers to spice in India, Tea refers to as chai in India. hence, it’s nothing but mixed spiced tea. This drink has gained popularity all over the world even leading chain of hotels and joints have masala chai on their menu 🙂 🙂
The tea powder has lot of variation in India. Today I will share my secret of Masala Tea Powder 😉 which will refresh and rejuvenate you. This is again my mom’s blend of the spice mix. There are many ways of making chai masala powder across all household in India.
Masala Tea Powder adds a unique flavor, aroma and taste to the tea. You just need to add 1/2 tsp while preparing tea. I usually add 1 tsp of tea powder along with some grated ginger. I love strong tea and love my mom’s tea.
My hubby doesn’t love tea nor coffee. However, I love both preferable tea it could be green tea, black tea Or milk tea. I make tea only for myself (: how boring… it’s boring to make but just divine to take few sips of tea every-day. Tea is great for health as long as you limit only 2 cups per day. I confess I am addicted to tea can’t think of starting my day without a cup of tea 😉
I have used cows milk but my vegan friends could use soy milk Or almond milk for tea. I have posted Indian Herbal Tea and Lemongrass Ginger Tea which also tastes great.
I have just roasted the spice mix for a minute as this help’s in storing this spiced mix for a longer time. But it’s optional.
Let’s make Masala Tea Powder recipe step by step:
- Pestle dried ginger and nutmeg with mortar before grinding if using whole spice and not powder.
2. Roast all the ingredient’s on low heat for 1-2 mins. Switch oof the gas and transfer them to a grinder. Allow them to cool.
3. Grind until all are powdered nicely. Even if they appear not very fine that’s okay.
4. Now shift the masala tea powder into an airtight bottle Or container. Use about ½ a t/s of tea powder while making tea. If you like strong flavored tea then add 1 t/s tea powder.
If you are looking for more such recipes then do check garam masala powder, curryleaf powder, fennel seed powder, thandai powder, sambar powder, masala milk powder, peanut chutney powder and jeera powder.
Masala Tea Powder recipe details below:
- ½ cup dried ginger powder (
- 2 tbsp green cardamom
- 1 star anise
- 1 -2 black cardamom
- 4-5 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 3 tbsp fennel seed
- ¾th cup few dried lemon grass leaves chopped (optional)
- 2 nutmeg
- 10 to 12 dried mint leaves (optional)
- 10 to 12 dried basil leaves or tulsi leaves
- ¼th to ½ cup dried rose petals
- All the ingredients are mostly available in the kitchen. Dried ginger is easily available at
- I have dried mint leaves, lemon grass leaves and basil leaves in
sunthen used them. Pestledried ginger and nutmeg with mortar before grinding if using whole spice and not powder.
- Combine all the ingredients into a processor. Grind until all are powdered nicely.
- Now shift the masala tea powder into
a anairtight bottle Or container. Use about ½ a t/s of tea powder while making tea. If you like strong flavored tea then add 1 t/s tea powder.
2. I have used powdered dried ginger if you are using a whole then <g class="gr_ gr_136 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide gr_disable_anim_appear undefined Enhancement" id="136" data-gr-id="136">pestle</g> with a mortar then grind it else you won't be able to grind it.
3.<g class="gr_ gr_107 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" id="107" data-gr-id="107">Similarly</g> if using <g class="gr_ gr_106 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="106" data-gr-id="106">whole</g> nutmeg then <g class="gr_ gr_134 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide gr_disable_anim_appear undefined Enhancement" id="134" data-gr-id="134">pestle</g> with a mortar then grind it.
4. You could also use whole soonth or dry ginger just pound them and the grind.
5. All these ingredient's should be easily available at any Indian store.