Full of power packed proteins is Makhana Roti (Fox nut) Or Phool Makhana Snack recipe!
Lotus Seeds , Fox nut are known as Phool Makhana in India. Mostly towards Northern India Makhana is used a lot. There are lot of recipes made from Makhana like makhana kofta, makhana kheer, makhana is also eaten as popcorn. This is a Phool Makhana Roti a snack Or breakfast recipe
Some benefits of Makhana are they are rich in calcium. They are nutritious, organic, low cal and healthy nuts. Also rich in minerals and antioxidants. Regular eating of lotus seeds curbs arthritis, joint pain, aids digestion. It balances the energy system in body known to fight against cancer. Mostly its given to pregnant ladies.
Had purchased a pack of makhanas few days back. As I have never attempted to make anything from them. I thought of including in our staple diet roti. As my hubby won’t know what he is eating as they are bland in taste.
Lotus seeds look very beautiful. The makhana roti is soft, smooth and healthy. I just combined them with whole wheat flour, some beaten rice flakes (poha) and oats. Intending to come up with more healthy version of rotis and parathas.
Apparently have tried some healthy rotis like Multigrain Roti, Oats Roti, Til Gur Ki Roti and Millet Flat Bread. I mostly use organic flour, salt, sugar, grains and rice for my regular food. Organic food is better, healthy and taste wise also is great. Do try to include makhana in your diet.
Notes for Makhana Roti:
- It’s important to roast the makhanas and grind them properly. Else it will appear as coarse flakes in the dough.
Makhana Roti recipe printable details listed below:
- 1 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp oil for frying rotis
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup roasted makhanas (lotus seed)
- 2 tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp rice poha (rice flakes)
- 1 t/s rock salt Or salt
- 1 cup water
- Dry roast lotus seeds on a pan with low heat. Roast for 2 to 3 mins.
- Combine roasted lotus seed, oats, rice flakes into a processor. Grind until fine powder is formed.
- Take a big deep dish and mix whole wheat flour, pounded flour, rock salt and oil.
- Mix all it would appear like bread crumbs.
- Now add water and knead into a smooth and soft dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and towel over the dough. Place it aside for 10 mins.
- Roll into an inch size balls.
- Roll them into oval shapes. Spread some oil over them.
- Fold back the edges from all corners. Shape them into round Or oval shape.
- Take a iron pan Or griddle spread some oil over the pan.
- Shallow fry the roti from both sides until golden dots Or specks appear.
- Serve them hot with vegetable Or pickle.
rakesh kapoor says
Read extensively abt makhana never knew abt its health properties Had as a snack sure to make kheer and rotis.
Thankyou Rakesh now that you know you could eat makhana with awareness 🙂
Noor Alam says
I m from west Bengal and my dad is big supplier of makhana but here we eat only roasted I will say to my mom to do makhana roti…. I think it will be very testy…
Sure Noor do try it’s yum and healthy 🙂 and do share your views.
What a lovely snack! Great recipe 🙂
SUNITA SIL says
I think you wanted to write rich instead of rice in you “Some benefits of Makhana are they are rice in calcium”, sorry if i am wrong.
Never heard of this, tomorrow is holiday, will try this and let u know.
Lv and tk cr
Thanks so much for pointing out the mistake. I wanted to write rich in calcium. Thanks would wait your feedback.
I cudnt make this as I just wanted to know is this the makhana which we use in Dal Makhani.
Thanks in advance
Lv &tk cre
Sunita makhana are fox nut which are lotus seed. You should get them easily in supermarket they are generally white to off white in color and about marble size. They are rich in calcium and minerals. Hope this helps you.
Very unique roti Maria, never heard of it.. should try it soon 🙂
Thanks Nupur can’t help it keep making unique recipes 😉 do try and keep me posted and thanks for dropping by!