Prawn Vindaloo recipe – a famous Goan-Portuguese dish which is very hot and spicy. Goan vindaloo tastes better as it ages just like a pickle. Main ingredient which goes in making this dish are meat, chicken, pork or prawns along with vinegar, garlic and palm vinegar. You could also make a vegetarian version of vindaloo by adding mushrooms, babycorn etc.
Vindaloo is also referred to as aloo which are nothing but potatoes. So some Goans also add potatoes (aloo) to vindaloo. You won’t be surprised to know there is also a song called Vindaloo. There are many variations to make this recipe.
Mainly vindaloo is served with rice, pao or rotis. This actually is suppose to be one of the hottest dishes so use chilies as spice required. I have stuck to the basics and used authentic ingredients to make prawns vindaloo.
The consistency of a vindaloo tastes better when thick but you could make it as per your liking. The color is deep orange to red color. The color comes from dry red kashmiri chilies and it’s not very spicy. So use red chilies which would yield deep color and less spice. Even bedgi chilies would be good. Just in case you don’t get dry kashmiri chilies then just use kashmiri red chili powder.
We make vindaloo many a times home. However make mostly during winters as can’t digest so much heat during summer 😉
How to make prawn vindaloo recipe:
1. Take oil in a pan once it’s hot add cloves and peppercorn.
2. Also add all the spices except onion and vinegar. Saute for 2 mins on low heat.
3. Once it cools down grind with vinegar until smooth paste is formed. Add little water if required.
4. Now add half of the rest of onion and grind again until all blends well.
5. Take oil in a pan once hot saute chopped onion.
6. Saute onion until it changes color.
7. Now add tomatoes.
8. Cook until it softens also add sugar.
9. Put the chopped potatoes.
10. Sprinkle some salt and cook until potatoes are half – cooked.
11. It’s time to add the marinated paste.
12. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
13. Add 1 kilo de-shelled prawns and cook for 10-12 mins more on medium heat. Add water as consistency required.
14. Lastly add vinegar and simmer for 2-3 mins more.
Serve Prawn Vindaloo with hot bread, pao, rice or roti.
If you love prawns check some more recipes on my blog like prawns biryani, prawns fry, prawns curry, south indian prawns curry, butter garlic pepper prawns and goan prawns pulao.
Prawn Vindaloo recipe below:
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 6-7 dry red kashmiri dry chilies
- 15-16 peppercorn
- 15-16 cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼th tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp vinegar or palm vinegar
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 kilo peeled and de-shelled prawns
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 /2 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- water as required
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt as required
- Take oil in a pan once it's hot add cloves and peppercorn.
- Also add all the spices except onion and vinegar. Saute for 2 mins on low heat.
- Once it cools down grind with vinegar until smooth paste is formed. Add little water if required.
- Now add half of the rest of onion and grind again until all blends well.
- Take oil in a pan once hot saute chopped onion.
- Saute onion until it changes color.
- Now add tomatoes
- Cook until it softens also add sugar.
- Put the chopped potatoes.
- Sprinkle some salt and cook until potatoes are half - cooked.
- It's time to add the marinated paste.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add 1 kilo prawns and cook for 10-12 mins more on medium heat. Add water as consistency required.
- Lastly add vinegar and simmer for 2-3 mins more.
- Serve Prawn Vindaloo with hot bread,pao, rice or roti.
2. Add red chilies as spice required.
3. Adding Potatoes are optional.
Wow, I tried this recipe and it is spot on. Thank u so much, my husband remembered Goa and its falvors thanks to u. God bless!
Nickren Jude Balaraj says
Very good receipie
Thanks a ton 🙂
Hi, I’m sorry it doesn’t say how much prawns were used?
Mukti I have used about 1 kilo prawns. Thanks will rectify the same in the recipe.
I bought something at an Indian grocery store that says “RED CHILLI WHOLE” made by Aara Foods. Will this work for this recipe?
Nick they have to be kashmiri red chilies as there are many types of whole red chili even red bedgi chilies should work. Hope this help’s you as kashmiri and bedgi yield deep red-orange color and is less spicy.
Delicious! We used half a white onion, but the pictures look like shallot. Is it 1/2 a shallot you used? Thanks!!
Glad you’ll liked the prawns vindaloo 🙂 I have used white onion and not shallots but you could use shallots also in this recipe. Yes about 1/2 a onion. hope this help’s you.
Catherine George says
Love your recipe. So very goan.do you have recipe for crab xecxe
Thankyou Catherine surely would update you with the recipe but give me some time 🙂
Lovely recipe, thank you! I live in Russia, but i very fond of Indian food. Definitely try to cook shrimp according to your recipe. Beautiful site and excellent recipes!
Sure try it’s hot an yum.
Could you kindly send me your Pork Sorpatel Receipe. I love it.
Shirley its’ surprising but no one eats pork at our place so I am sorry for the recipe.
Reshma Potdar says
Hi this is Reshma.I love ur recepies.please sendme ur biryani recepies.chicken vindaloo, biryani – prawns biryani, chicken biryani, mutton biryani.
I hope you will send all goan recepies.
Thankyou Reshma I am pleased to know you love my blog recipes. You could subscribe for free recipes to your mailbox here for regular updates here is the link http://mad.ly/signups/78386/join also you could check recipes on food blog on the top right hand side button for any recipe you want. Check some of the links here for Goan recipe http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/category/goan-food/ and for biryani check here http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/?s=biryani …hope this information helps you.
Red , hot and spicy… yum! Do you think that the red vindaloo paste will stay fresh in refrigerator for 1-2 days?
Yes Ashwini add little more oil and store in the freezer for a longer storage. Thankyou for dropping by 🙂