Prawns Gassi Recipe comes from the manglore region and one of the most popular dish. Most of the coastal restaurants have prawns gassi on their menu along with appams, dosas or rice. One of my hubbys favorite dish most of the times we keep making various dishes. Prawns Gassi is also a tried and tested recipe.
You would find a lot of version for this dish. I have tried to stick to the basics. My mouth waters even just writing about it. Even the Karnataka cuisine is quite popular with sea food, kori roti, chicken sukka (dry), manglorean buns and some of the fish recipes are quite popular and tasty. I know quite some of the dishes as my aunt comes from Manglore hence quite well versed with their dishes. I have always loved their food in marriages and functions.
If you make this dish then do make idlis, dosa or rice which goes well with prawns gassi. I have to get a appam pan for me we just made rice and had ours. The spices used here as slightly different then Goan cuisine. They use ginger, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek seed etc goes in making gassi.
Coconut is a common factor in all the coastal cuisines of India. In Kerala curry leaves, mustard seed are used along with coconut. In Karnataka it’s fenugreek seed, tamarind, asofoetida, ginger and coriander seed are used. Whereas in Goa along with coconut ingredients like cumin seed, coriander seed, vinegar, red chilies and kokam is used widely. But the fish made across all this coast is just amazing and worth to eat.
This curry is more towards the spicier side. Along with dry red chilies even red chili powder is added. If you don’t like it spicy then add chilies accordingly. If you are a vegetarian then add paneer, potatoes or mushroom instead of prawns. If you love chicken then add chicken in this dish. In Pune you get lovely prawns gassi curry and dry prawns gassi along with appams at Signature Salunke-vihar. We always order from them !
Let’s make step by step Prawns Gassi recipe:
1. Marinate the prawns with lime juice, turmeric, salt and place aside for 15-20 mins. I don’t have a pic for this one.
2. Take a pan once heated add oil. Saute all the ingredients which are meant for the curry paste for upto 3-4 mins on low heat.
3. Grind all the ingredients with little water to form a smooth paste.
4. Add oil in a wide bottomed sauce pan. Once heated add onion, ginger, curry leaves and green chilies. If adding tomato then add now.
5. Now put red chili powder,
6. Pour the grounded paste.
7. Simmer until it starts bubbling and thickens.
8. Now add water as consistency required. Time to add the marinated prawns.
9. Simmer until curry starts bubbling.
10. Lastly add salt and pour oil.
11. Switch off the gas and serve prawns gassi hot with rice or appams.
If you are looking for some more prawn recipes on my blog like prawns biryani, prawns fry, prawns curry,south indian prawns curry, butter garlic pepper prawn, achari prawns and goan prawns pulao.
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- a pinch of fenugreek seed
- 4-5 dry red kashmiri chilies or bedgi chilies
- 1 onion chopped coarsely
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 small ball of tamarind
- 1 tbsp oil + ½ tbsp oil more for pouring in the curry
- 250 gms prawns cleaned and de-viened
- 1 medium sized tomato few curry leaves (optional)
- ½ inch ginger julienne
- 1-2 green chilies slit from center
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt as per taste
- water as required
- Marinate the prawns with lime juice, turmeric, salt and place aside for 15-20 mins. I don't have a pic for this one.
- Take a pan once heated add oil. Saute all the ingredients for the paste upto 3-4 mins on low heat.
- Grind all the ingredients with little water to form a smooth paste.
- Add oil in a wide bottomed sauce pan. Once heated add onion, ginger, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Now put red chili powder,
- Pour the grounded paste.
- Simmer until it starts bubbling and thickens.
- Now add water as consistency required.
- Time to add the marinated prawns.
- Simmer until curry starts bubbling.
- Lastly add salt and pour oil.
- Switch off the gas and serve prawns gassi hot with rice or appams.
2. Instead of prawns you could use paneer or chicken.
Tired your recipes and love it. Family loved it.
Pleased to know this thanks Linelle 🙂 for positive views.
Where the tomatoes. Wen u add man
Kay adding tomato is optional you can add them while sauteing onion and curry leaves. Hope this information helps you.
Hi Maria, thank you for this delicious recipe. My family loved it !!?
Thanks Smita for positive feedback 🙂 glad you liked the prawns gassi recipe.
Meeraa Bhambure says
Heyy thanks… i was really missing hotel signature style prawn ghassi since quite a long … tried ur receipe and guess what…. feeling satisfied ?
Pleased to know this Meeraa 🙂 thanks for positive views. Glad you liked the prawns gassi recipe.
Delicious and perfect proportions. A family favourite
Smita Mohile says
I tried your prawns gassi today and turned out to be lipsmacking. My family just loved it with rice bhakris. Good job! . Thank you
You are welcome Smita 🙂 I am pleased to know this and thankyou for trying them.
I like ur all recipes. I will surely try this recipe for my hubby’s b’day.
Plz share recipes of oyester/ kalve.
Valisa will check with my mom as we don’t get much of oyster or kalve here in Pune so don’t make them 🙁 but will keep you posed and thankyou so much for your kind words 🙂 take care.