Ragda Recipe for Ragda Patties – its yellow peas soaked in water overnight, cooked and infused with Indian spices. In Mumbai ragda is used instead of chole for patties. Yellow peas is known as safed vatana in India. This dish is very essential for Patties in Mumbai. All kind of chats like pani puri, ragda puri and ragda patties comprises of main ingredient called Ragda 😉 ….
When I was small mom used to take us out to eat chats. Mostly near Juhu which was our all time favorite. I love all kind of chats very difficult to name one chat 😉 seriously Mumbai has great chat joints. However in Pune you get good chats at Ramkrishna hotel on M.G. Road their pani puris are just amazing.
My mouth is watering talking about chats even post having my dinner. Looking forward to make more Mumbai Chat’s. As my hubby also love all kind of chats and even my readers 🙂 🙂
You could check out the various Mumbai Food on my blog listed below Mumbai Pavbhaji, Mumbai Vadapav, Mumbai Tawa Pulao, Mumbai Style Anda Bhurji, Mumbai Potato Wraps, Mumbai Masala Toast and Bread Pakora
Ragda Recipe for Ragda Patties recipe card below:
- 1. 2 cups yellow peas (safed chana)
- 2. 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 3. 1 tbsp chat masala
- 4. 1 tbsp dried raw mango powder (amchur powder)
- 5. ½ t/s turmeric
- 6. 1 tbsp roasted cumin seed powder (jeera powder)
- 7. 1 tbsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya powder)
- 8. a pinch of asofoetida (hing)
- 9. salt as per taste
- Important part is to soak peas overnight. Discard the water from soaked peas and pressure cook peas with 3 cups water. Wait for the first whistle later place on slow fire for 10 to 12 mins. Check if ragda is done it should be soft. You could further mash it as per your preference.
- Combine all the spiced powder like chat masala, amchur powder, turmeric, roasted cumin seed powder, coriander seed powder, asofoetida into the ragda. Lastly add salt for seasoning.
- Garnish with red chili powder. Serve hot with chopped onion Or chats.