Sabudana Khichdi a simple, healthy snack eaten during fast/ vrat / upwas… The best part is Sabudana Khichdi has no onion and no garlic so makes it ideal during fast. Also its made with basic ingredients. This can be eaten as snack, breakfast, quick meals, brunch Or pack them in lunch boxes. I ate them for my lunch as was lazy to make anything else. Same day I made Sago vada they are my favorite. I will post the recipe for it soon.
Tapioca pearls are known as sabudana. Sabudana Khichdi is one of famous recipes eaten in Indian during holy fasting Or even as breakfast. Vivid memories revived back today from school days when I ate this dish. This recipe is easy to make and tastes quite yum.
Mostly sabudana khichdi is made in the Maharashtra belt of India. Even in Mumbai you get lot of stalls selling sabudana khichdi, sabudana vada etc. You could serve the khichdi with green chutney and some lime juice.
To be honest I made this for the first time. Looking forward to make them more as it’s easy and simple to make. Have tried some of Mumbai fast food recipes like Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich, Kanda Batata Poha, Amritsari Chole Bhature, Anda Bhurji and Mumbai Tawa Pulao
I was intending to post recipes for fasting season for a long time. Finally I have started posting them one by one. Slow and steady wins the race. Hmmm sometimes I feel I have lack of time and years to make so many umpteen dishes (:
It’s my dream to travel all over and see different cultures, cuisines and make their style food. Hope it comes out true soon touchwood as of now just sticking to sabudana khichdi else will start dreaming again….
Sabudana Khichdi step by step details :
1. Soak sabudana with water just a little higher to them about 1/2 an inch above. Cover and allow to soak overnight. If you are in rush just soak them for 3 to 4 hours Or until they are soft but not soggy. Place them over a colander allow the water to pass out. Sabudana should be soft you should be able to mash them with your finger.
2. Take a pan add groundnut oil or ghee. Once oil is hot saute cumin seed, mustard seed, asofoetida, sugar, curry leaves, ginger and turmeric powder. Saute for 20 secs. If fasting then please don’t add turmeric, hing and curry leaves.
3. Now add chopped boiled potatoes.
3. Add cumin powder, green chilies, coarsely grounded peanuts and rock salt as per taste. Mix all nicely.
4. Time to add sabudana mix all well. Keep stirring else they might stick to the bottom. Once the sabudana changes color and is translucent it’s cooked.
5. Squeeze lime juice, garnish with coriander leaves and serve sabudana khichdi hot with a cup of tea.
Sabudana Khichdi recipe printable details listed below:
- 1 cup sabudana (sago / tapioca pearls) soaked in water overnight
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 boiled potato chopped into squares
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- a pinch of asofoetida (hing) optional
- 1 t/s cumin seed
- ¼ t/s mustard seed
- ½ t/s turmeric powder (optional)
- 3 green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp minced ginger Or chopped finely
- 1 t/s sugar
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (grounded coarsely into grinder)
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder (optional)
- ½ lime juice
- sendha namak (Indian Rock Salt) as per taste
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- Soak sabudana with water just a little higher to them about ½ an inch above them. Cover and allow to soak overnight.You should be able to mash them with your finger.
- Take a pan add oil. Once oil is hot saute cumin seed, mustard seed, asofoetida, sugar, curry leaves, ginger and turmeric powder. Saute for 20 secs.
- Now add chopped boiled potatoes.
- Add cumin powder, green chilies, coarsely grounded peanuts and rock salt as per taste. Mix all nicely.
- Time to add sabudana mix all well. Keep stirring else they might stick to the bottom. Once the sabudana changes color and is translucent it's cooked.
- Squeeze lime juice, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with a cup of tea.
2. It's important you roast the peanuts before making their coarse powder.
3. For variation you could garnish with fresh grated coconut.
4. Also don't overcook sabudana else it will tend to get get dry. Once it changes color switch off the gas.
5. If fasting then avoid curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder.