Salted Chaas Recipe – Chaas or Buttermilk is an ancient Indian drink mostly have during the Summer season. Chaas is also known as Chaach in India. This beverage is known for its good health benefit’s as they are made with 1 part of yogurt and 3 -4 parts of water. Also for seasoning some herbs and spices are added to chaas to make them more delicious and flavorful.
In Indian various types of chaas are made. The taste, flavor and spices change as you go from North region to the South region. Towards the North more of cumin flavor are used for seasoning and towards the South more of curry leaves and chilies are used. The taste of buttermilk could vary from mild spiced to fiery spiced.
Mostly chaas is had after heavy meals which aids in digestion. Even most of the Indian thalis served in any restaurant has chaas or curd. You could have salted chaas, masala chaas or South Indian chaas.
This recipe for buttermilk is my mother’s recipe. We have used curry leaves and ginger for adding flavor to chaas. The curry leaves a great aroma along the taste of spice coming from the ginger. Chaas should always be served chilled and add some boondi (gram flour pearls) for a crunchy taste.
Traditionally chaas was made by churning yogurt and cold water in a pot. The buttermilk was churned by madhani (whipper). Also, the buttermilk was stored in earthenware few hours before consumption. I sometimes use churner or just blend them in a grinder.
In Pune, you get the best chaas and vada pav at garden vada pav camp. Also, some roadside stalls or the last (road side vendor) here sell good vada pav’s here. My mouth is watering and yearning for a vada pav now 😉
Learn how to make salted chaas recipe step by step:
- Keep all the ingredients handy for the chaas recipe.
2. Combine yogurt, chilled water, ginger, curry leaves and salt into the grinder.
3. Grind for 30 secs or until they mix nicely.Add water if you like your buttermilk thinner.
Serve your salted buttermilk chilled with your favorite food or snack.
If you are looking for more summer coolants then do check Jal jeera, aam panna, kokam sherbet, kokam sherbet, beetroot raita, masala chaas, rose lassi and top 10 Indian summer drinks.
Salted Chaas recipe card below:
- 1 cup yogurt / curd (dahi)
- 2-3 cup of water
- 17-18 curry leaves
- ½ inch ginger chopped finely
- 6 - 7 ice cubes (optional)
- black salt or salt as per taste
- Combine yogurt and chilled water into the grinder.
- Add the ginger, curry leaves and salt.
- Grind for 30 secs or until they mix nicely.
- Add water if you like your buttermilk thinner.
- Serve your salted buttermilk chilled with your favorite food or snack.
2. If you like your buttermilk thin then add more water.
Leave a Reply