Sev Puri recipe – a popular street food originating from the streets of Mumbai. Nowadays even five star hotel, several other joints offer sev puri, pani puri and chats in their menu. We love chats at home and all kind of chats are my favorite. Love to binge sev puri at the road side vendor, juhu chowpatty or at other joints / thellas in Mumbai.
I make sev puris at home quite often. Just prepare the two chutney mainly the red chutney and the green chutney in advance. Buy the puris, nylon sev and roasted peanuts from the market. I have given a tangy punch to my sev puris by adding some chopped raw mango.
Mainly boiled, mashed potatoes, onion, tomatoes and coriander leaves goes in making sev puri. Also not to forget chutney and lime juice. Next part is assembling everything to make sev puris. Just before making sev puris to make it easy and convenient for you.
Mainly boiled, mashed potatoes, onion, tomatoes and coriander leaves goes in making sev puri. Also not to forget chutney and lime juice. Next part is assembling everything to make sev puris. Just gather everything at one place before making sev puris to make it easy and convenient for you.
Everyone loves sev puris at home I make them and it get’s over too soon. The secret behind sev puri is your chutney if your chutney is good, sev puri would taste too good. There are many variations to this dish mine comes from the streets of Mumbai, just the way the vendor prepares I make at home.
How to make Mumbai Sev Puri recipe:
You would have to prepare few things in advance.
- The red sweet chutney
- The green spicy chutney
- For topping some mashed, boiled potatoes, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves, chopped raw mangoes and roasted peanuts.
- Spice powder like chat masala and black salt.
- Store bought puris and nylon sev.
Next part would be assembing everything to make sev puri . Place puris or papdis over a dish. Place some mashed potatoes over each, put some chopped onion, raw mango and tomatoes. Now put some green and sweet chutney. Sprinkle some sev, chat masala, coriander leaves, black salt and squeeze some lime juice. Serve the sev puris immediately else it might get soggy and loos it’s crispy taste.
Looking for more Mumbai street food then check ragda patties recipe, pani puri, corn chat, mumbai masala toast sandwich, cold coffee, kulfi, keema, mumbai cutting chai, masala omelette, batata rassa and dhokla.
Sev Puri Recipe cart below:
- 24 puris / papdis
- 1 cup nylon sev
- 2 potatoes boiled, peeled, mashed and mixed with little salt
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 tomato chopped finely
- 1 raw mango chopped finely
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup spicy green chutney
- 1 cup sweet red chutney
- ½ lime juice (optional)
- chat masala as requires
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (optional)
- black salt as required
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cup of mint leaves (pudina)
- 1 cup of coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- 3-4 green chilies or as required (hari mirch)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder
- black salt as required
- 1 cup pitted dates (khajoor)
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp (imli)
- ½ t/s kashmiri chili powder
- ½ cup jaggery powder (i used organic)
- ½ t/s fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder (jeera)
- ¼ th t/s garam masala powder
- ¼ th t/s black salt (kala namak)
- 2 cups water
- salt as required
- Grind all the ingredients with little water until smooth paste is formed. Place this aside.
- Boil tamarind or dates in water for 3-4 mins.
- Allow to cool and remove if they have any seed. Grind them together with a cup of water until smooth.
- Take a pan add the puree of dates and tamarind.
- Add ½ cup water and mix all nicely.
- Also add jaggery powder and all spice powder, mix and simmer for 4-5 mins.
- Allow to thicken then switch off the gas. Place aside to cool.
- Spread some puris/ padis over a dish.
- Top with some mashed potatoes.
- Now top some chopped onion, raw mangoes and tomatoes.
- Pour some green chutney and sweet chutney as you prefer spicy or sweet.
- Sprinkle sev, roasted peanuts, chat masala, chopped coriander leaves, black salt and squeeze some lime juice all over.
- Serve the
2. Alter spices as required.
3. If you are in a rush then skip both chutney and add some sauce plus red chili powder for instant sev puri. I have tried this way too it tastes nice.
4. If you adding raw mangoes then there is no need to add lime juice unless you like them tangy.