Spicy Shankarpali recipe – a savory which can be a great savior for people who are not fond of sweets! Spicy Shankarpali recipe is a traditional savory made during Diwali and Christmas both in India. Again this recipe comes from my mother’s treasure bank.
Specially towards Maharashtra and Konkan Belt this is commonly made and sold in stores. Similarly sweet shankarpali is also made which is meant for people with sweet tooth. If you ask me I love both 😉
I tried Spicy Shankarpali for a change and its awesome you should also try them. We all get bored eating sweets during festive season. Even I get bored and I always look for spicy food on the platter. I eat Spicy Shankarpali or namkeen like chiwda, besan sev or chaklis.
This is my old post which I have slightly modified and changed the pics. Spicy Shankarpali tastes amazing and has a unique flavor. You wanna taste spicy shankarpali than you gotto make them right????
If you are looking for more Diwali recipes like instant chakli, sweet shankarpali, besan sev, mohanthal, nankhatai, paneer gulab jamun, phirni, motichoor ladoo and basundi. Click on the link for the recipes.
Spicy Shankarpali Recipe cart below:
- 500 gms maida(refined flour)
- 250 gms
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 cup
tscarom seed (Ajwain /ova)
- 1 tbsp crushed black pepper
- Salt as Per taste
- 200 ml Oil(around 3 cups)
- Sift flour and salt. Add cumin seed, carom seed, pepper powder and salt. Mix all nicely.
- Take a small Pan heat the Dalda and keep aside.
Alternativelyyou could microwave the dalda. Now make smallwell in the flour add warm dalda.
- Rub the flour with your finger and palm.
- It will appear like bread crumbs.
kneadingto form a soft and smooth dough. Keep kneadingthe dough for about 15 to 20 mins with lotof energy and apply pressure to it.
- Keep the dough aside covered with a
malmal(linen) cloth for about 10 to 15 mins. Itstime now to make big balls out of the dough and roll them with the chapati roller. Roll them into round shape similar to a roti but keep the width little thick than chapatis .
- Take a knife and cut them into Square or Diamond Shapes.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel once the oil is hot add the
shankarpalito it ensuring gas is on low flame. Once shankarpaliare nicegolden brown remove them.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining balls.
- Allow them to cool and store them
intoan airtight box Or container.
- Serve Spicy Shankarpali on a platter with
decorateit with Diyas on occasionof Diwali.