Aromatic fresh Veg Thai Red Curry Paste! I have made plenty of times Veg Thai Red Curry Paste but finally posting it today. The word Thai curry gives a feeling it’s quite tough. But this paste is the simplest dish to make on earth. Thai Cuisine is very similar to Goan and South Indian Cuisine. As all of them use coconut as their main ingredient. The best part is all Goan, South Indian and Thai in-spite of using coconut have different flavor, aroma, texture and taste of food.
A lot of people add shrimp sauce, fish sauce to the thai paste. However, I feel it’s up to you if you would like to add them Or not. As I haven’t used any fish paste Or fish sauce yet the Veg Thai Red Curry Paste tasted awesome.
Lemme tell you the the core ingredient of thai paste used are the peri peri chilies also known as African Bird Eye. Peri Peri chilies are very spicy and hot so it’s essential to remove their seeds before making paste else the spice will hit you badly. Talking about Peri Peri chilies there is quite a famous sauce called Peri Peri sauce in Goa you could click on the link to check the recipe. You could use thai red chilies Or dry red chilies for the paste. I have tried thai paste making with peri peri chilies and kashmiri red chilies. I prefer the latter one for its deep red color and also, it’s not so hot.
Once you make Veg Thai Red Curry Paste home you will never buy them from stores. As the homemade curry-paste is fresher, healthier and much better. Also you can make how much you like and store in the fridge. I usually make thai red curry paste and peri peri sauce and store them into the fridge. Use them anytime I wish it makes my life more easier and quicker.
There are lot of version of Veg Thai Red Curry Paste. But the one I am sharing is a vegetarian version. You could use this red paste for Veg Thai Red Curry Or Chicken Thai Red Curry Paste. I tried the Thai Red Chicken Curry, Thai Tofu Vegetable Curry and Thai Red Curry with Egg all of them were awesome.
Let’s start step by step making this awesome thai red curry paste.
Pestle galangal, shallots and lemongrass with a mortar until they are soft.
It’s imperative to chop and de-seed the chilies. Soak the de-seeded red chilies into hot water for 10 mins.
Dry roast coriander seed, cumin seed and black pepper for 2 to 3 mins on low heat.
Combine all the ingredients in a processor along with soaked red chilies, roasted spices, pounded lemon grass stalk and galangal. Grind until a smooth paste is formed.
Transfer the Veg Thai Red Curry Paste into an airtight container Or bottle. Place the paste in the fridge. Use about 2 tbsp of curry paste for thai curry.
Tips for Veg Thai Red Curry Paste:
- You could any kind of red chili like kashmiri red chilies for the paste. If you like your paste
spicy add more red chilies.
- You could make green thai paste just replace with green chilies.
- If you like using fish sauce please use them.
- If you want to make in more quantity just double up the quantity of ingredients.
- If you want to preserve this paste for a long time add some oil and place it in the fridge. This should last you for 2 to 3 months.
- Galangal gives an authentic thai flavor. If possible try using Galangal it’s available at all Asian store. If galangal isn’t available replace with ginger.
- Use about 2 tbsp of thai curry paste else it will be very spicy.
- 12 fresh red chilies/dry red chilies/thai red chilies/ peri peri
- ¼th cup coriander roots
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 t/s cumin seed
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- 6 lemongrass stalks
- 3 shallots
- 1 galangal
- ½ lime zest
- 7 kaffir lime leaves
- 7 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 15 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt Or as per taste
- Firstly take galangal, onion and lemongrass stalk. Pestle them with mortar until they are soft.
- It’s imperative to chop and de-seed the chilies. Soak the de-seeded chilies into hot water for 10 mins.
- Dry roast coriander seed, cumin seed and black pepper for 2 to 3 mins on low heat.
- Combine all the ingredients in a processor along with soaked red chilies, roasted spices, pounded lemon grass stalk and galangal.
- Grind until a smooth paste is formed.
- Transfer the Veg Thai Red Curry Paste into an airtight container Or bottle. Place the paste in the fridge. Use about 2 tbsp of curry paste for thai curry.
Can we use regular lime leaves in place of kafir lime leaves?
Vinamrata yes you could try with regular lime leaves too but kaffir lime leaves have different fragrance otherwise rest all will be same taste. Hope this help’s you.
i made this but i noticed that there were fine strings of lemon grass in the paste , i sieved it then again with some water grinded the paste which was left on the sieve, i did this 3-4 times so i found it quiet tedious work. could you please suggest some tips to remove the strigs ?
Meenakshi it’s difficult to remove them now. But next time you make just pestle the lemon grass stalk with a mortar and then grind them to a paste. This process should help you.
Ash- foodfashionparty says
Nice recipe to have minus the fish paste..Good one.
Thanks Ash 🙂
I loved the pics you have put up
Thanks Annie I am glad you liked the pics 🙂