Easy Prawns Masala or Kolambi Masala recipe comes from the Maharashtra belt which is spicy, tangy in taste. Prepared mainly with prawns, onion, tomatoes and spices. Alternatively you could add east indian bottle masala or malvani masala or the black koli masala. I haven’t used used bottle masala powder as it got over so replaced some garam masala powder, malvani masala, turmeric and coriander powder.
This kind of recipe is made towards Mumbai, Maharashtra and the Konkan belt. One of the most easiest dish to make on earth when you are falling short of time. Prawns are known as kolambi in Maharashtra-India. Kolambi Masala has a lot of variations also adding potatoes are optional. Some also add coconut and some don’t add to this recipe. I have made this without coconut and taste equally great. As I make both the styles.
You could club prawns masala with rice, pao (bun), bhakri or chapatis. Personally I love to eat with pao or rice. If you don’t like too much spice then add less of chilies or red chili powder.
For people who aren’t aware what is bottle masala let me explain. Bottle Masala is a special blend of masalas made my the east indian community. There are more than 25 spices which goes in making this special masala. This masala gives a great flavor to food quite similar to malvani masala.
Since my hubby is fond of sea-food make variety of recipes and he relishes them 🙂 So make them in all all different ways.
Let’s make Prawns Masala or Kolambi Masala Recipe step by step:
- Firstly wash prawns de-vein them.
2. Marinate them with turmeric powder and salt. Allow to rest for 10-15 mins.
3. Heat oil in a deep and wide bottomed pan.
4. Once oil is hot fry the marinated prawns until they change color. Don’t fry them too much as they cook very fast. Remove the prawns and place aside.
5. In the same pan add garlic and saute for a minute.
6. Add ginger and saute for 30 seconds on low heat.
7. Now add onion julienne.
8. Also add curry leaves and keep stirring.
9. Time to add green chilies.
10. Saute until onion changes color to light brown. Keep stirring in between.
11. Add the tomatoes and keep stirring.
12. Put all the spice powder and mix nicely.
13. Add the chopped potatoes now if using them and also add kokam.
14. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. Keep checking in between if the mixture is drying then add little water and cook.
15. Once the potatoes are cooked add prawns.
16. Cover and cook for a minute more. Garnish with coriander leaves.
17. Switch off the gas and serve your kolambi masala with rice or chapatis.
If you are looking for more sea-food recipes then do check prawns masala, prawns achari, prawns gassi, prawns green masala, prawns pulao, prawns curry, goan prawns curry, prawns biryani and goan prawns fry.
Prawns Masala or Kolambi Masala Recipe and the printable version below.
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 cup onion julienne (pyaz)
- 10-12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 3-4 green chilies (hari mirch)
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped lengthwise (tamatar)
- ½ cup potatoes peeled and chopped into square or cubes (optional) (aloo)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya powder)
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp malvani masala powder or bottle masala powder
- 3-4 garcinia indica (kokam or kokum)
- ¼th cup chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- salt as per taste
- 250 gm of medium sized to small sized prawns de-veined (jhinga / kolambi)
- ¼th tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt as per taste
- Firstly wash prawns de-vein them.
- Marinate them with turmeric powder and salt. Allow to rest for 10-15 mins.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide bottomed pan.
- Once oil is hot fry the marinated prawns until they change color. Don't fry them too much as they cook very fast. Remove the prawns and place aside.
- In the same oil add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add ginger and saute for 30 seconds on low heat.
- Now add onion julienne.
- Also add curry leaves and keep stirring.
- Time to add green chilies.
- Saute until onion changes color to light brown. Keep stirring in between.
- Add the tomatoes and keep stirring.
- Put all the spice powder and mix nicely.
- Add the chopped potatoes now if using them and also add kokam.. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. Keep checking in between if the mixture is drying then add little water and cook.
- Once the potatoes are cooked add prawns.
- Cover and cook for a minute more. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Switch off the gas and serve your kolambi masala with rice or chapatis.
2. Alter spice as per your preference as this is spicy recipe.
3. If you do not have kokam at your house then squeeze some lime juice or add raw mangoes for the tang.
Loretta Wyche says
Could please send me the recipe for ‘Kolambi Masala (prawns in a spicy masala)
Ninaad Awsare says
Used this recipe using koli masala instead of bottle masala – worked great!
Thanks Ninaad for positive feedback, glad you liked the kolambi masala.
Absolutely love this recipe. Tried it three times and comes out perfect every time. thank you for sharing.
Welcome always Susan, glad you liked the prawns kolambi masala recipe. Thanks for positive feedback 🙂
Hi Maria, I made this recipe quite a few times whenever I had to cook something quickly with prawns. Never failed.. thanks a lot .. today will try Punjabi prawns curry…..thanks a lot for sharing..tk care.. marina
Thankyou Marina for your kind words 🙂 surely try the punjabi prawns curry and keep us posted how it was?
Hi Maria, did try the prawns Punjabi curry ….came out delicious… however my 9 yr old son liked the prawns masala more… thanks… tk care .. marina
Thankyou Marina for your positive feedback 🙂 glad your son liked the prawns masala recipe.