Easy Coriander Rice Recipe – mainly prepared from coriander leaves, mint leaves, spices, yogurt and coconut milk. This is my own version and for some reason, love adding coconut milk to pulao or rice recipes. To add some more greens have added peas and tomatoes for the red color. Love my pulao colorful and flavorful.
Always make green rice sometimes with coriander sometimes with mint and sometimes with spinach. As I love greens hubby isn’t that much fond of so keep trying to feed my family green’s in different ways.
Since rice is loved home keep making different recipes with vivid flavors and cuisine. In India you have no limit to any recipe or cuisines. So every week make new dishes with rice. Also unlike making roti’s or chapatis rice is so easy to make and easy to cook 😉 My favorite is khichdi made with moong dal with curd and onion raita. In fact, make them at least twice a week.
Just a thought to ponder how is it possible rice bran oil is good for health and eating boiled rice isn’t good? a small bowl of rice eaten daily is great for the digestive system and your body. Try eating unpolished rice or organic rice for the better health factor rice is good for you if eaten in limited quantities and the right type of rice.
In this recipe have used yogurt as well as coconut milk. Also have used nuts and raisins which are optional. If you are a vegan then skip the yogurt.
Let’s make coriander rice recipe step by step:
1. Firstly soak the basmati rice for 30-40 mins.
2. Meanwhile, let’s make the green paste. Combine all the ingredient’s except yogurt and grin to a smooth paste.
3. Now add yogurt and grind again until smooth.
4. Take cooker or heavy bottomed sauce pan add ghee or oil.
5. Once it’s heated add all the whole garam masala. Saute until they crackle and leave aroma.
6. Add the sliced onion, chilies, nuts, and raisins.
7. Once onion changes color to pale pink add ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell diminishes from the ginger.
8. Add garam masala powder and mix nicely.
9. Saute until onion becomes slight brown in color.
10. Add the green peas.
11. Pour the grounded green paste.
12. Add water cook and allow to get bubbles.
13. Put the soaked rice.
14. Pour coconut milk and salt.
15. Finally, add the chopped tomatoes and salt.
16. Pressure cook until 3 whistles or cook in a pan with a lid until rice is cooked. Switch off the gas allow the cooker to cool down. Not required to wait if cooking in a pan. Serve coriander rice hot with salad, papad or pickle.
If you are looking for more rice recipes then do check mixed sprouts biryani, garam masala rice, how to cook rice perfectly, neer dosa recipe, mushroom fried rice, palak paneer rice, sweetcorn fried rice, egg fried rice, tadka rice, tomato rice, veg biryani, chicken biryani, veg pulao and veg fried rice.
Coriander Rice Recipe and the printable instructions below:
- 1 cup basmati rice soaked in water for 30-40 mins (chawal)
- 2 tbsp ghee / oil
- 2-3 cloves (laung)
- 3-4 saffroncobra (nagkesar)
- 1-2 bay leaf / tejpata
- 3-4 mace blades (javitri)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 tsp caraway seed (shahi jeera)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (pyaz)
- 2-3 green or red chilies slit from center (mirch)
- 8-10 cashewnut (kaju)
- 8-10 almond (badam)
- 5-6 raisins (optional) kishmish
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- ⅓rd cup green peas (hara matar)
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped into chunks (tamatar)
- 200 ml coconut milk (nariyal dudh)
- salt as per taste
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhaniya patta)
- ⅓rd cup mint leaves (pudina)
- 2-3 green chilies (mirch)
- 2 tbsp yogurt (dahi)
- 2-3 garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tsp cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water for grinding
- Firstly soak the basmati rice for 30-40 mins.
Meanwhilelet's make the green paste. Combine all the ingredient's except yogurt and grin to a smooth paste.
- Now add yogurt and grind again until smooth.
- Take cooker or heavy bottomed sauce pan add ghee or oil.
- Once it's heated add all
thwhole garam masala. Saute until they crackle and leave aroma,
- Add the sliced onion,
chilie, nuts and raisins.
- Once onion changes color to pale pink
addginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell diminishes from the ginger.
- Add garam masala powder and mix.
- Saute until onion
becomeslight brown in color.
- Add the green peas.
- Pour the grounded green paste.
- Add water and allow to get bubbles.
- Put the soaked rice.
- Pour coconut milk and salt.
Finallyadd the chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Pressure cook until 3 whistles or cook
into panwith liduntil rice is cooked.
- Switch off the gas allow the cooker to cool down. Not required to wait if cooking in pan. Serve coriander rice hot with salad, papad or pickle.