Egg Curry Recipe – made with hard boiled eggs, fresh coconut, spices and coconut milk. This egg curry goes well with steamed rice, garam masala rice, pulao, dosa, puri and chapatis.
Days when I am falling short of time I make egg curries. Just make an egg curry, rice and your meal is sorted. Also egg in any form is loved by my folks. Be it masala omelette, egg masala dry, egg masala curry or mushroom cheese omelette they are relished at my place. This is my version of south indian style egg curry which I make quite often.
Especially in rainy season I get temptation to eat egg curries, omelettes and even frittatas. This anda curry tastes delicious as the spice coming from red chilies, sweetness coming from coconuts, the tangy taste coming from the tomatoes balances the taste of this curry. I have added home-made coconut milk which has 2 parts one is the thin coconut milk and second is thick coconut milk. The thin coconut milk is added while the curry is boiling whereas the thick coconut milk is added towards the end of the curry. You should never boil the thick coconut milk on high heat and for a longer period of time else the coconut milk may cuddle.
How to make coconut milk at home? Let me explain you there are two kinds of coconut milk Thick coconut milk and Thin coconut milk. Next question would be how would you differentiate between them and make them. Let me answer, you first grate the fresh coconut. Take the fresh grated coconut grind into a processor with little water. Take a mesh strainer and extract the milk or squeeze with your hand and strain the coconut on a strainer. The collected extract is your thick coconut milk. Now take the leftover coconut pulp and grind into the processor again with 1 cup of water. Again squeeze on the strainer and extract the milk. This would be your thin coconut milk.
For people who don’t have much time can use canned coconut milk. Sometimes I use Dabur coconut milk which is quite good. The curry is slightly spicy but the coconut milk makes it mild. If you are not fond of spice then reduce the chilies or vice versa.
We had egg curry with garam masala rice and begun bhaja. For variation you could marinate the boiled egg with little turmeric and chili powder. Then shallow fry the marinated egg then add to the curry. Frying eggs makes the egg crispy from the exterior so choice is yours. I haven’t fried the egg just added boiled egg to the curry.
Egg Curry Recipe card below:
- !for the paste:
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut
- ¼th cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2-3 dry red kashmiri chilies or bedgi chilies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- ½ inch ginger chopped finely
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 6 hardboiled eggs
- 1.5 tablespoon of coconut oil/sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seed
- 8- 10 curry leaves
- ½ inch ginger chopped finely
- ⅛th teaspoon hing
- 4-5 green chilies slit from center
- 1 cup sliced onion
- ½ cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- ¼th teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1.5 cup thick coconut milk or 1 cup thin coconut milk and ½ cup thick coconut milk.
- 1 cup water or as required
- salt as required
- Hard boil the eggs.
- Once eggs are boiled, allow the eggs to cool and peel the eggs.
- Combine all the ingredients for the paste with little water.
- Grind until smooth and even paste is formed.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seed.
- Once they start popping add the curry leaves.
- Also add the ginger julienne.
- Sprinkle hing.
- Add the green chilies and saute for 30 secs.
- It's time to add the onion julienne.
- Saute the onion and keep stirring.
- The onion would become pale pink in color.
- Saute and stir the onion until they look pale brown in color.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder.
- Also add half of the garam masala powder, reserve the rest for later use. Sprinkle salt as desired.
- Stir all and mix nicely.
- Pour the ground paste.
- Stir all nicely.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Also pour the thin coconut milk now if using.
- Simmer until the curry bubbles.
- Put the boiled, peeled eggs and cook for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
- Lastly add the thick coconut milk, reduce the heat to low.
- Switch off the gas and sprinkle the rest of garam masala powder.
- Serve the egg curry hot with rice, toasted bread, rotis or pulao.
2. You could use canned coconut milk for this recipe but add them towards the end.
3. Adjust spices and seasoning as per your taste and preference.
4. If you are using canned coconut milk then add 1 cup towards the end.
How to make Egg Curry recipe with step by step photos.
1. Keep all the ingredients ready for the egg curry recipe.
2. Hard boil the eggs. Learn how to hard boil eggs perfectly each time recipe here.
3. Once eggs are boiled, allow the eggs to cool and peel the eggs.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the paste. Add little water to grind but don’t add too much water just about 2 tbsp water.
5. Grind until smooth and even paste is formed.
6. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
7. Once they start popping add 8-10 curry leaves.
8. Also add the 1/2 inch ginger julienne.
9. Sprinkle 1/8th teaspoon of hing.
10. Add 4-5 green chilies and saute for 30 secs.
11. It’s time to add 1 cup of onion julienne.
12. Saute the onion and keep stirring.
13. The onion would become pale pink in color.
14. Saute and stir the onion until they look pale brown in color.
15. Add 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes and saute until they soften.
16. Sprinkle 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder. Also add 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder, reserve the rest for later use. Sprinkle salt as desired.
17. Stir all and mix nicely.
18. Pour the ground paste.
19. Stir all nicely.
20. Add 1 cup of water or as consistency required.
21. Also pour 1 cup of thin coconut milk now if using.
22. Simmer until the curry bubbles.
23. Add the boiled, peeled eggs and cook for 2-3 mins on medium heat. I have added only 4 eggs as added the rest of two eggs for garnish towards the end.
24. Lastly add 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk, reduce the heat to low. If you are using only canned coconut milk then add 1 cup of coconut milk.
25. Switch off the gas and sprinkle the rest of garam masala powder.
26. Serve the egg curry hot with rice, toasted bread, rotis or pulao.
If you are looking for more egg recipes then do check egg masala curry, egg masala dry, masala omelette, anda bhurji, egg biryani, goan egg curry, mughlai egg curry, punjabi egg curry, thai egg curry and cheese egg bhurji.
RAJESH N RATHOD says
PL.MAIL.UR WEBSITE & UR YOUTUBE SITE ================ =============== EGG RECIPE WAS RUSTIC -YUMMY -MOUTH WATERING
Falguni Desai says
I had seen mutton curry recipe in ur website but now I can’t see it can u PlZ mail me the recipe.http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/indian-mutton-curry-recipe-mutton-curry-indian-style/
Falguni will mail you the recipe thanks.