Goan Prawns Pulao simple yet delicious! This is a simple pulao made from fresh prawns. But let me tell you the taste of this recipe cannot be described in words. It is a simpler version of prawns pulao. Light spices and cashews gives this pulao an amazing flavor and taste. My mouth is watering while talking about it. Any point of the day you hungry or wanna carry something healthy and filling in your tiffin box…. then this recipe is one of the best options. Non oily, non greasy, light yet nutritious and filling. Do try this dish! It is worth trying 🙂
I have been eating this delicious pulao since my childhood. I am grateful to my mom and existence for providing me with such lovely food. I love sea food and any food which is tasty + made with love. I just crave and binge on such food. Prawns are easily available throughout the world. If prawns are not available you could even use shrimps. I haven’t added potatoes in this pulao. If you wish you can add them. Also half cup of coconut milk will give a great flavor to your prawns pulao. But I would like to stick to this basic recipe of mom as it tastes amazing.
Goan Food is quite popular for its coastal food also for different kind of masalas used. Some famous Goan masalas are reshad or recheado masala, Xacuti masala, Bafad Masala and not to forget vindaloo masalas. Even Goan sweets are awesome however not that popular as the coastal food is. Some goan specialties in sweets are dodol, bibinca, doss, guavacheese and pinagri. I am a great fan of dodol its made with coconut and jaggery which just melts in your mouth. Anyways coming back to our simple, light, rejuvenating and healthy Prawns Pulao.
How to make Goan Prawn Pulao Recipe step by step:
1. Peel the skin of prawns and de-vein them. You could take any size of prawns for this recipe.
2. Wash the rice and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Keep the gas on low flame. Add oil and saute cloves, peppercorn, bay leaves, cinnamon and green cardamom.
5. Now also add Cashews and saute for 30 seconds.
6. Add chopped onion and green chilies. Saute until onions become nice dark brown in color. Roughly about 5 to 7 mins on low flame.
7. Once the onion color changes add prawns. Mix gently with a spatula or spoon.
8. Add ginger garlic paste to it.
9. Also put tomatoes and stir well. Put the Maggi cube chicken masala into it. Now add coriander leaves and few mint leaves to it.
10. Finally add rice. Stir all of them.
11. Lastly add boiling water to the rice as required for pulao. Take the measurements of water as you would like your pulav. Generally the ratio is if 1 cup rice then 2 cups water. As some like dried pulav and some like mushy. Hence you take your own measurements for water. Don’t forget to add salt. Alternatively you could make in pressure cooker until 3 whistles.
12. Cover with a lid and cook until it’s done.
13. After 20 mins or Once the rice is cooked. Your Goan Prawns Pulao is ready. Serve hot with salad or Fish fry.
14. You could eat this is a brunch or lunch along some fried prawns or recheado prawns. Garnish with few mint and coriander leaves.
If you are fond of prawns then do check prawns biryani recipe, prawns achari, prawns gassi recipe, prawns green masala recipe, prawns masala recipe, goan prawns curry, prawns fry recipe and butter garlic pepper prawns recipe.
Goan Prawns Pulao recipe card below:
- 200 gms fresh prawns or shrimp (jhinga or kolambi) de-veined
- 3 tbsp ghee or oil (i used ghee)
- 250 gms basmati rice
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 4 green chilies
- 1 tomato
- 2 onion julienne
- ½ cup cashews
- 3 green cardamom
- 7 to 8 peppercorn
- 2 to 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 or 2 Chicken Maggi Cube or 1 tbsp garam masala
- Boiling Water as required
- salt as required
- Wash the rice and keep it aside. Take a heavy bottomed pan. Keep the gas on low flame.
- Add oil and saute cloves, peppercorn, bay leaves, cinnamon and green cardamom.
- Now also add Cashews and saute.
- After a minute. Add chopped onion and green chilies. Saute until onions become nice dark brown in color. Roughly about 5 to 7 mins on low flame.
- Once the onion color changes add prawns. Mix gently with a spatula or
- Add ginger garlic paste to it.
- Also put tomatoes and stir well. Put the Maggi cube chicken masala into
- it. Now add coriander leaves and few mint leaves to it.
- Finally add rice. Stir all of them.
- Lastly add boiling water to the rice as required for pulao. Take the measurements of water as you would like your pulav. Generally proportion of rice and water is 1:2
- Don't forget to add salt.
- After 20 mins or Once the rice is cooked. Your Goan Prawns Pulao is ready.
- Serve hot with salad or Fish fry. You could also eat this is a brunch or lunch. Garnish with few mint and coriander leaves.
2. You can also add potatoes in this pulav.
3. Also you can cook mushroom, clams, veg pulav in the same fashion.
4. Use boiling water for your pulavs for instant cooking.
5. If you don't have maggi cubes then just add garam masala powder instead.