Pune’s special drink Mango Mastani recipe. Mastani is nothing but a thick milkshake served with a big dollop of icecream. It’s a concoction of fruit juice with milk, ice-cream and some dry fruits. Mastani is a unique name it’s actually based on the name of the queen Mastani who was wife of Peshwa Bajirao. You would find this drink easily anywhere in Pune. I have adapted and modified this recipe from vegrecipesofindia.com.
Some of the famous sellers of Mastani are Sujata Mastani, Gujjar Mastani, Kasturi Mastani and also some restuarant sell them. You get variety of mastani like chocolate mastani, pineapple mastani, dry-fruit mastani, mango mastani, pineapple mastani, orange mastani, vanilla masatani, butterscotch mastani etc. My personal favorite is fresh custard-apple mastani and mango mastani.
In-fact you could make this drink out of any fresh fruit in season. I have made use of mangoes as it’s in season. Pune is still hot with very little rain awaiting some more rain 😉 … I have used alphonso you could use kesar mangoes or any fleshy mango.
The other drink which I love in Pune is the roadside almond milk (badam dudh). This drink tastes awesome but I avoid due to hygienic reason and make them home instead. Just like Mumbai even Pune has some great eatery joint, streetfood and some awesome places to dine. I am falling in more love with Pune food, people and climate.
This drink is delicious, satisfying and is quite rejuvenating. I always have them at Sujata Mastani as its near my house. Whenever I have this urge of having mastani I ensure I have one or ask someone to get for me one 😉 or make at home if can’t get one.
Let’s make mango mastani recipe stepwise:
1. Firstly combine the fresh mango cubes or mango pulp in the grinder.
2. Add sugar, salt if using and nutmeg powder. Grind to a smooth puree.
3. Now add milk and few ice cubes. Grind again until all blends well.
4. Pour into the serving glasses leaving half inch space on the top.
5. Scoop out a dollop of icecream and place them on the top.
6. Now garnish with sliced mango cubes, glazed cherries, pistachio flakes, silvered almonds and tutti frutti. Your mango mastani is ready serve them chilled.
If your are fond of mangoes then do check mango milkshake, mango lassi, mango kulfi, mango icecream, mango sponge cake, eggless mango cake, mango squash, aamras puri, aamrakhand, mango iced tea, mango coconut cupcakes and mango cheesecake.
Mango Mastani recipe and printable version below:
- 2 cup chopped mango or fresh mango pulp
- 1 cup chilled full cream milk
- a pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
- some ice cubes (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp sugar or as required
- 2 scoop of vanilla icecream or any icecream of your choice
- 2-3 glazed cherries for garnish
- few sliced mango cubes for garnish
- 1 tbsp pistachio flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp tutti frutti (dried sweetened papaya candies)
- 1 tbsp silvered almonds (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- Firstly combine the fresh mango cubes or mango pulp in the grinder.
- Add sugar, salt if using and nutmeg powder. Grind to a smooth puree.
- Now add milk and few ice cubes. Grind again until all blends well.
- Pour into the serving glasses leaving half inch space on the top.
- Scoop out a dollop of icecream and place them on the top.
- Now garnish with sliced mango cubes, glazed cherries, pistachio flakes, silvered almonds and tutti frutti. Your mango mastani is ready serve them chilled.