Prawn Chilli Fry recipe is my grandmother’s recipe and passed on to us who are their grandchildren now. I love my mother’s food a lot and this one is just to die for. We used to love eating prawn chilli fry with chapati or rice. This chilli fry is not the chinese or indo chinese chili fry recipe but this is a Goan chilli fry recipe.
This recipe is a quick and easy for modern housewives, mom to make something quick and delicious at the same time. It could be made as a side dish or main course. Also, this dish has no ginger or garlic. The ingredients used are basic ingredients yet the flavor is mouthwatering.
Prawn chilli fry tastes lip smacking with chapati, pao, rice, appams and dosa. If there is left-over which I doubt 😉 could be used as stuffing inside sandwiches, croquettes, samosa, frankie or grilled sandwiches. At my house I have specially made this to make prawn croquettes as this dish is just gobbled up in no time.
The main ingredients used are prawn, tomato, onion and potatoes. The only spices which goes are kashmiri red chili powder and turmeric. To give the tangy taste we add kokam or you could even add tamarind paste if kokum isn’t available.
The texture has to be semi-dry or dry and deep red – orangish color with loads of spice and tang. If you add plain red chili powder it won’t give the deep red color what kashmiri chili powder would impart. Mainly smaller to medium sized prawn are used but you could use any size of prawn for this dish. The only challenge is to cook prawn so add them towards the end as it takes 2-3 mins to cook. If prawns are over-cooked they tend to taste rubbery so cook them al-dente.
How to make Goan Prawn Chilli Fry recipe:
1. Rinse the prawn, de-vein and de-shell them. Marinate the prawn with little salt and keep aside for 10 mins.
2. Meanwhile, take a pan add oil.
3. Once the oil is hot add the onion julienne.
4. Saute until they have changed color.
5. Time to add the tomatoes.
6. Also, add in turmeric, kashmiri chili powder and sugar.
7. Now add the potato cubes.
8. Mix all nicely.
9. Cover with a lid consisting water and simmer until potatoes are soft and cooked. There is no need to add extra water as this has to be cooked in it’s own juices.
10. But do keep checking in between if the mixture is getting dry then add little water but not too much.
11. Add prawn and salt for seasoning.
12. Back to covering with a lid consisting water. Simmer for 2-3 mins or until prawn changes color and is cooked.
13. Add kokam and cook without lid for 2 mins more on high heat so that the moisture dries out.
14. Switch off the gas, check the taste and alter any spices if required. Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves. Serve goan prawn chilli fry hot with toasted bread, chapati, rice or pao.
If you love sea food then do check goan prawns pulao, crab curry, achari jhinga, goan prawn curry recipe, prawns masala, pomfret recheado, clam dry and prawns in green masala.
Prawn Chilli Fry Recipe cart below:
- 250 gms prawns medium sized (de-veined and de- shelled)
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 3 medium sized onion chopped into julienne
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped finely
- 1 medium sized potato (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp
kashmirired chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
garnicia indica( kokam) or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely for garnish
- salt as per taste
- Rinse the prawn, de-vein and de-shell them. Marinate the prawn with little salt and keep aside for 10 mins.
Meanwhiletake a pan add oil. Once oilis hot add the onion julienne.
- Saute until they have changed color.
- Time to add the tomatoes.
Alsoadd in turmeric, kashmirichili powderand sugar.
- Now add the potato cubes.
- Mix all nicely.
- Cover with a lid consisting water and simmer until potatoes are soft and cooked. There is no need to add extra water as this has to be cooked in
it'sown juices. But do keep checking in between if the mixture is getting dry then add littlewater but not too much.
- Add prawn and salt for seasoning.
- Back to covering with a lid consisting water. Simmer for 2-3 mins or until prawn changes color and is cooked.
kokamand cook without lid for 2 mins more.
- Switch off the gas, check the taste and alter any spices if required.
Lastlygarnish with coriander leaves. Serve goanprawn chilli fry hot with toasted bread, chapati, rice or pao.
2. Add chili powder as per your preference.
3. The gravy has to be <g class="gr_ gr_228 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="228" data-gr-id="228">semi dry</g> or thicker gravy. So there is no need to add extra water as this has to be cooked in <g class="gr_ gr_220 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear undefined ContextualSpelling" id="220" data-gr-id="220">it's</g> own juices. <g class="gr_ gr_224 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear undefined Punctuation multiReplace" id="224" data-gr-id="224">Also</g> remember prawn would leave moisture while cooking.
Excellent….turned out well….infact this reminds me of my mom’s preparation…..thanks Maria.
Thanks Amy for positive views 🙂 you are welcome. Glad you liked the prawns chili fry.
Tried this recipe yesterday for a potluck party and was a hit. I was little doubtful since there is no garlic or ginger in this recipe which helps to reduce that fishy smell. But everybody liked it.
Thanks for sharing this authentic Goan dish.
Thankyou Anita for trying the prawn chili fry recipe and pleased to know your folks liked it. You are always welcome 🙂
hi maria ,
please post goan style chicken cafreal recipe
Sure Kirti in the meanwhile you could check Mushroom Cafreal Recipe ..replace chicken with mushrooms 🙂
my husband heard somewhere about it.
welcome Kirti 🙂
hey hi maria,
i had made your cafreal receipe but with the chicken it was very good.
my husband loved it.
your every receipe that i tried was very good
Please give me na pressure cooker receipe.
thank u so so much maria.
Kitu I am pleased to know you liked all the recipes you tried also glad your hubby loved the cafreal recipe. Thankyou for trying and sharing your views which pressure cooker recipe are you looking for???
sry i forgot to mentioned i want cake in pressure cooker receipe.
i tried it before but its not done properly.
i liked the way you give receipe step by step with pic.
i think that’s why all receipes of your tried by us it was turn out vry good.
thanks once again.
Thanks Kitu would soon share the pressure cooker cake recipe….. take care and have a great weekend.
Kitu this is the link to a pressure cooker cake recipe it’s my latest post. Hope this helps you in baking good cakes in cooker http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/eggless-pressure-cooker-cake-recipe/…. thanks.
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
This prawn chilli fry looks incredibly flavoursome and delicious! A recipe I need to make!
Surely try Thalia and do share your views on it. Thankyou for your positive comments 🙂