Easy Tendli Masala or Tindora Masala recipe – This is a quick recipe of tendli (ivy gourd) made in less than 20 mins yet delicious and goes well with chapatis, rotis or as a side dish. This recipe calls for minimal spice and ingredient’s only 5 ingredient’s are used for making this veggie.
We love quick veggies with masala base like mushroom Tawa masala, egg dry masala, egg curry masala and prawns masala. In a similar way you could make bhindi masala or gavar masala. For variation, you could add tomatoes.
I have used an aluminium vessel preferably nonstick pan would be better to use for this recipe. As veggies tend to stick to the bottom in any metal vessel apart from nonstick pan or pots.
Our whole meal was tendli masala, egg masala curry with rice. Hubby relished this for dinner and requested to give some for next day in tiffin 😉
When you buy ivy-gourd ensure they are tender while you slice them the seed shouldn’t be too red. If they look too red that means they are over-ripen and won’t taste good.
Let’s learn how to make tendli masala or tindora masala recipe step by step:
1. Add onion julienne into the hot oil.
2. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
3. Keep stirring the onion until they change color to light brown.
4. Remove them with slotted spoon and place aside.
5. In the same pan add the sliced tendli.
6. Stir them for a minute then add rest of turmeric powder, garam masala powder, kashmiri red chili powder and salt.
7. Keep stirring and frying until they change color.
8. Add the fried onion.
9. Cover the vessel with a lid for 2 mins. If you are using a nonstick pan they won’t stick but if using regular vessel then they would stick. So keep stirring in between.
Switch off the gas and serve your tendli masala with phulkas, roti or as a side dish with pulao / biryani.
If you are looking for more such recipes then do check egg masala biryani, chicken masala, egg masala, prawns masala, egg masala curry, garam masala rice, mushroom tawa masala, kolambi masala and poori masala.
Tendli Masala or Tindora Masala Recipe card below:
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 cup tendli (ivygourd) sliced into round or lengthwise
- 1 cup onion julienne
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- salt as required
- Add onion julienne into hot oil.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- Keep stirring the onion until they change color to light brown.
- Remove them with slotted spoon and place aside.
- In the same pan add the sliced tendli.
- Stir them for a minute then add rest of turmeric powder, garam masala powder, kashmiri red chili powder and salt.
- Keep stirring and frying until they change color.
- Add the fried onion.
- Cover the vessel with a lid for 2 mins. If you are using a non stick pan they won't stick but if using regular vessel then they would stick. So keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the gas and serve your tendli masala with phulkas, roti or as a side dish with pulao / biryani.
2. Use a non stick pan preferably for this recipe.
3. If the veggies stick to the bottom just sprinkle some water and they would easily come out.
4. Alter spices as per your preference.
Tried this and it was yummy with phulkas and pickle thankyou for this recipe it’s quick and tasty 🙂 can we try this with msuhrooms??
Yes Meenakshi you could try with mushrooms as well let us know how it was? thankyou so much.