When I see tomatoes I always think of my own liner If life throws tomatoes then give back tomato rice or tomato pulao 😉 This is comforting tomato rice recipe which goes well with any gravy based dish, salad, raita and papad. We had ours with paneer masala and onion salad.
I have used whole garam masala (spices), tomato puree and some coconut milk for this recipe. Also have added grean peas and peanuts for the added flavor and nutritive value. Coconut milk gives a nice subtle flavor to this rice.
Tomato Rice is a quick and easy recipe. You could make them for quick meal, lunch box or when you have sudden guests. Just club with some fries like papad, fish fry etc and your meal is done. This could be also termed as a one pot meal which is so comforting during winter days. But being an Indian one pot meal sometimes is just not enough we always need some accompaniments like pickle, raita, gravy etc.
I have used basmati rice you could use kolam or any rice for this recipe. We also love kolam and mango blossom rice however for photographs I prefer long grained rice. Also this rice could be made mushy or dry it is how you want your dish to taste.
Let’s make step by step Tomato Rice Recipe:
1. Soak the rice in water for 30-40 mins.
2. Keep all the spices, veggies ready.
3. Take a pan or pressure cooker add oil. Once oil is hot add all the whole ground spices.
4. Saute until they are fragrant.
5. Add the chopped onion and saute until they change color.
6. Also add ginger and saute for 30 secs.
7. Now add groundnuts and saute for 2 mins.
8. It’s time to add the tomato puree.
9. Cook for 2-3 mins and add sugar.
10. Also add turmeric and red chili powder.
11. Sprinkle the pepper powder.
12. Don’t forget to add garam masala powder, coriander seed powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
13. Put the green peas and combine all nicely.
14. Add the soaked rice stir well.
15. Lastly add coconut milk and add water accordingly.
16. Pressure cook until 3 whistles or cover and cook in the pan until rice is cooked. I don’t have a pic for this one. Switch off the gas once it’s done.
17. Serve the tomato rice hot with salad, pickle or papad.
If you looking for more tomato based recipes then do check tomato chili chutney, tomato pulao, tomato curry, tomato soup, pizza tomato sauce, onion tomato salad, tomato chutney, dahi tamatar curry and onion tomato chutney.
Tomato Rice recipe below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups rice soaked in water for 30 mins
- 5-6 tomatoes chopped and pureed
- 1 inch ginger chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- ¼th cup groundnuts (optional)
- ½ cup green peas (matar)
- 2 one inch cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
- 5-6 crushed green cardamom (elaichi)
- 3-4 cloves (lavang)
- 2 messua ferrea (optional) (nagkesar)
- 1 star anise
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tbsp cumin seed (jeera)
- 2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 3-4 mace blades (javitri)
- 1.5 tbsp red kashmiri chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder (kalimirch powder)
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 100 ml thick coconut milk (nariyal dudh)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- few coriander leaves for garnish (hara dhaniya)
- salt as per taste (namak swadanusar)
- Soak the rice in water for 30-40 mins.
- Keep all the spices, veggies ready.
- Take a pan or pressure cooker add oil. Once oil is hot add all the whole ground spices.
- Saute until they are fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until they change color.
- Also add ginger and saute for 30 secs.
- Now add groundnuts and saute for 2 mins.
- It's time to add the tomato puree.
- Cook for 2-3 mins and add sugar.
- Also add turmeric and red chili powder.
- Sprinkle the pepper powder.
- Don't forget to add garam masala powder, coriander seed powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
- Put the green peas and combine all nicely.
- Add the soaked rice stir well.
- Lastly add coconut milk and add water accordingly.
- Pressure cook until 3 whistles or cover and cook in the pan until rice is cooked. I don't have a pic for this one. Switch off the gas once it's done.
- Serve the tomato rice hot with salad, pickle or papad.
2. You love spice then add more red chili powder or green chilies.
3. The ratio of 1 cup rice= 2 cups water but we have added tomato puree + coconut milk so add water accordingly else the rice would turn out mushy.
4. Adding peanuts are optional.
Hmm.. coconut milk in tomato rice…nice idea! I usually make tomato chutney with sautéed tomatoes and onion and mix it with boiled to make tomato rice. Will try with coconut milk
Yeah I make onion-tomato chutney too at times. Do try this rice and nice to see you back 🙂