Easy Indo-Chinese Veg Manchurian Recipe! I have vivid memories of eating veg manchurian with fried rice at Mumbai chinese stalls. The word chinese used to salivate our mouth as a child and till date it has same effect. Have always eaten chinese food with friends, family, office mates and during birthday treats. Even if you happen to pass by such stalls your mouth will start watering with the aroma.
As a teenager I remember the person making chinese food. They had a stove with fire at it’s peak, placed with a big wok. The man keeps stirring and tossing veggies, sauces etc in the air. It was kind of fun to watch how they used to cook. At times they toss the rice in air and bring back to the wok. It’s an art how they could cook that too at such crowded places.
For some reason I am not a big fan of noodles. At few times I binge on veg hakka noddles. Probably being Indian first preference is rice and not noodles. Although I love fried crispy noodles served with soup. I don’t understand if I order soup for crispy noodles Or crispy noodles for the soup 😉
You could make this dish in advance and keep. Chinese stir fried rice Or noodles are healthy as they always have veggies accompanied. This is an easy dish to make just have to be careful while making the balls and frying them. Rest all is easy to follow. Yeah but let me warn you have to do a lot of chopping before you make the dish.
In-fact veg manchurian recipe is easy to make, nutritious and yummy. Club them with stir fried rice Or steamed rice and your meal is ready. Mostly we order veg manchurian with veg fried rice or szechuan fried rice.
Let’s make step by step Veg Manchurian Recipe:
1. Combine grated carrot, cabbage, capsicum and salt in a mixing bowl. Add cornflour, flour, sichuan pepper or black pepper and mix well.
2. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 to 12 mins.
3. Make small ball with your palms. Take oil in a deep pan. Place on high heat reduce the heat once oil is hot. Deep fry the manchurian balls until crispy and brown from all sides. It’s important to fry them on low heat else they won’t cook from within.
4. Fry few at at time. Don’t cluster with too many while frying.
5. Spread them over absorbent napkins. Repeat the same with the rest of balls.
6. Take heavy bottomed sauce pan add oil to it. Add chopped whites of spring onions, ginger, garlic and sugar. Saute them on high heat for a minute.
7. It’s time to add water and simmer for 2mins.
8. Now add soy sauce,vinegar, red chili sauce if using and sichuan pepper or pepper powder.
9. Lastly add corn flour + water paste, salt and half of chopped greens of spring onion. Allow the sauce to thicken. You could reduce the sauce by cooking more or keep it more in quantity.
10. Add the manchurian balls and simmer for 1-2 mins. Alternatively you could add the manchurian to the gravy just before serving.
12. Serve veg manchurian hot with steamed rice Or veg fried rice Or noodles.
Veg Manchurian Recipe printable details listed below:
- 2 cups oil for deep frying
- 1-2 green chilies chopped finely (optional)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ¼th cup capsicum chopped finely
- 2 of cup grated cabbage Or chopped finely
- ½ cup of whites of spring onion chopped finely
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp sichuan pepper powder or black pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp red chili sauce (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp spring onion only whites
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 14-15 garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water (Mix them and keep aside)
- 2 tbsp greens of spring onion chopped finely
- 1 tbsp chives chopped finely (optional)
- 1 tbsp capsicum chopped finely
- ½ tsp sichuan pepper or black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Combine all the chopped veggies except oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, cornflour, flour and mix well. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 to 12 mins.
- Make small ball with your palms.
- Take oil in a deep pan. Place on high heat reduce the heat once oil is hot. Deep fry the manchurian balls until crispy and brown from all sides. Fry few at at time. Ensure you fry on low heat else they won't cook from within.
- Spread them over absorbent napkins.
- Take heavy bottomed sauce pan add oil to it. Add chopped whites of spring onion, ginger, garlic and sugar. Saute them on high heat for a minute.
- It's time to add soy sauce, vinegar, red chili sauce if using and sichuan pepper or pepper powder.
- Lastly add corn flour + water paste, salt, chopped greens of spring onion, chives. Allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add the manchurian balls and simmer for 1-2 mins.
- Serve veg manchurian hot with steamed rice Or veg fried rice Or noodles.
2. Also you could make dry manchurian Or manchurian gravy it's upto you. If you like dry add very little water if you like thin consistency add more water.
3. It's important to allow the vegetables to rest before making the balls. As they leave moisture hence give them some time before shaping them.
4. Add more flour if the vegetable mixture has too much moisture. You could rub some oil and shape them into balls and then fry.
5. I haven't added MSG as we avoid eating msg at home but if wish you could add them.
6. It's important to chop the veggies finely or grate them else you would find difficult to shape them into balls.