Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker recipe is an easy and one pot recipe. It’s a comfort, warm and healthy food to have during winter’s. I usually make this pulao when I am in short of time or not in a frame of mind to cook something complicated. You could use any veggies for this veg pulao. I have used some mushrooms, cauliflower, french beans, cabbage, green peas, carrot, potato and capsicum.
This dish goes well with any raita, salad and papad. We have them mostly with onion raita or boondi raita. For pulaos you could use any rice like kolam, basmati etc. I have used basmati as prefer them for pulaos and biryanis. For khichdi I love to use mango blossom (ambemohar) rice or organic rice.
There are many version of pulaos and many types are made in all Indian households and restaurants. Some people feels pulaos and biryanis are the same. But there is a slight difference between them. Pulaos are cooked all together it’s a one pot dish whereas biryani’s the rice is half cooked and then layers are made of rice and gravy. Then it’s all cooked together with a method called dum. Dum is a process where the air is not allowed to pass so the edges are sealed with a dough. The biryanis are cooked with their own juices and flavor. Hope I have thrown light on the difference between them.
I have used whole Indian garam masala. To give a unique flavor and taste have added coconut milk instead of water which brings out more better taste in the pulao. Generally tomatoes are added in pulaos and biryanis I haven’t added them however it’s optional. For garnish I have used fried cashews, ginger and raisins. You could use fried onion julienne also instead of fried ginger.
We use mostly homemade garam masala powder at home. But you could use ready biryani garam masala or pulao masala instead for this recipe. Whenever you cook pulaos or biryanis always soak the rice for 30 mins in water before cooking them. You could use oil / ghee/ butter or white butter for this recipe. I have used refined oil. Also if you don’t want a mushy pulao then you should be careful about the ratio of rice and water. I take 1:2 ratio if 1 cup rice then 2 cups water which is I follow to the tee. If you don’t have a pressure cooker then just make them a pan.
Let’s make Vegetable Pulao In Pressure Cooker:
1. Heat oil in the pressure cooker once hot add all the whole ground garam masala (spices). Saute until they are fragrant.
2. Add ginger and fry until the raw smell disappears.
3. Now add the whites of spring onion.
4. Add salt so that the onion caramelizes faster.
5. Time to add all the chop veggies.
6. Also put the garam masala powder.
7. Add 1 cup water and mix all nicely.
8. Pour the coconut milk.
9. Strain the water from the soaked basmati rice. Lastly add them with salt for seasoning. Mix gently. Cover with the lid.
10. Pressure cook until 3 whistles then switch off the gas. Fry all the ingredients for garnish except greens of spring onion until light brown and place aside. Once the cooker cools down.
Serve your pressure cooker vegetable pulao hot with raita, salad or papad. Garnish with the fried ginger, cashews, raisins.
If you are a rice lover then do check recipes on blog like jeera rice, veg fried rice, tomato rice recipe, spinach rice, stir fried rice, chicken fried rice, curd rice, indian rice with vegetables, garam masala rice, paneer biryani, chicken biryani, chicken zafrani pulao and prawns biryani.
Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker recipe below:
- 1.5 cup long grained rice (I used basmati) soaked in water for 30-35 mins
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 bay leaves (tejpata)
- 2-3 nagkesar
- 4-5 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tbsp caraway seed (shahi jeera)
- 2 stone flower (dagagdphool)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- ½ mace (javitri)
- 3-4 cloves (lavang)
- 7-8 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 3-4 whites of spring onion or 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped greens of spring onion
- 5-6 cauliflower florets chopped (phoolgobi)
- 2 tbsp green peas (matar)
- ½ cup carrot chopped finely (gajar)
- 1 medium sized potato chopped into chunks (aloo)
- ¼th cup capsicum or bell pepper chopped finely (simla mirch)
- ¼th cup cabbage chopped finely (gobi)
- 3-4 mushroom chopped into chunks (khumb)
- ½ cup french beans chopped
- 2 cup coconut milk or water + cup water (nariyal dudh)
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder or biryani masala
- salt as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ inch ginger julienne
- 8-10 cashews
- few raisins (optional)
- few chopped greens of spring onion
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker once hot add all the whole ground garam masala (spices). Saute until they are fragrant.
- Add ginger and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the whites of spring onion.
- Add salt so that the onion caramelizes faster.
- Time to add all the chop veggies.
- Also put the garam masala powder.
- Add 1 cup water and mix all nicely.
- Pour the coconut milk.
- Strain the water from the soaked basmati rice. Lastly add the rice and salt for seasoning. Mix gently. Cover with the lid.
- Pressure cook until 3 whistles then switch off the gas. Fry all the ingredients for garnish except greens of spring onion until light brown and place aside. Once the cooker cools down. Serve your pressure cooker vegetable pulao hot with raita, salad or papad.
- Garnish with the fried ginger, cashews, raisins
2. Add any veggies of your choice.
3. If you are cooking on a pan then cook on a slow heat until the pulao is cooked.